thumbnail Hello,

The League authorities must make drastic action against crowd violence after fans of the home team in Lafia descended on match officials

The Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) had another match descend into chaos on Wednesday as the Week 11 tie between Nasarawa United and Wikki Tourists was marred by crowd violence.

The score was 2-1 in favour of the home team when fans and supporters alleged to be loyalists of the home team swarmed onto pitch and descended on the centre referee, Chrisantus Okoro from Imo State and beat him up.

Wikki’s Assistant Coach of Wikki Tourists, Gambo Ibrahim got his hand broken and welfare officer Yakubu Yankari was beaten into stupor among other various degrees of injuries sustained by members of the away team.

Eye witness confirmed they were not done with their dastardly act as they also pounced on Wikki Tourists players and officials in sight.

The club's kit manager, Aminu Sani and the club's cameraman were not spared from their worst nightmare in the hands of the irate mobs.

"They scored first through Victor Namo and we equalised in the 23rd minute through Sani Ibrahim,” Wikki Tourists media officer, Abbas Usman told Goal from Lafia,

"It was when they scored a second goal, which was not a good goal that we saw fans running to the pitch and beating everybody in sight including the centre referee Okoro Chrisantus from Imo State.

“Our Assistant Coach Garuba Ibrahim's hand was broken and our Kit Manager Yakubu Yankari was also beaten while our Kit Manager, Aminu Sani was also not spared from beating. 

"Our cameraman was chased like a thief before his camera was seized. We lost other valuables too. It was a chaotic situation."

Abbas informed Goal that they had to seek refuge at the B Division Police Station in Lafia after the injured players and officials had been rushed to the hospital.

Meanwhile, Nasarawa United striker Victor Namo said the report from the Wikki camp about the mayhem was untrue stating that it was the supporters of the away team that stormed the pitch and started beating the centre referee immediately after the second goal.

It was not confirmed by Goal as at the time of writing this report if the match was concluded but Nasarawa United were ahead by 2-1 when the chaos ensued.