thumbnail Hello,

The Juventus coach has said sorry for his and his club's reaction to referee Marco Guida's judgement in Juventus' 1-1 draw with Genoa last week, having met with officials on Monday

Juventus boss Antonio Conte has apologised for his outburst following his team's 1-1 draw with Genoa which resulted in the 43-year-old receiving a two-match ban.

The former Siena coach was left fuming with referee Marco Guida's decision not to award Juventus an injury-time penalty for Andreas Granqvist’s handball.

But Conte apologised at a meeting with officials and referees in Milan on Monday, following a discussion with Stefano Braschi, a referee designator for Serie A, who outlined how Guida was correct not to award the penalty.

“It was a complicated situation,” Braschi, president of the Italian Referee's Association (AIA), stated.

“We spoke about it today [Monday] and almost everyone said the handball was not intentional.

“The fact that Granqvist basically kicked the ball at his own arm was evaluated. Almost everyone agreed with that.

“Guida noted what occurred with certainty. In cases like this it was right to not award a penalty.”

“He [Conte] understood that he went a bit too far but what counts in situations like this is whether the handball is voluntary or not."

Leonardo Bonucci, Giorgio Chiellini, Mirko Vucinic and director Guiseppe Marotta were also given bans for their roles in criticising referee Guida.

Related

From the web