Pep Guardiola's men travel to Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan with the hosts coming off a damaging defeat to Sporting Gijon
Coke, Escude, Fazio, Navarro
Navas, Rakitic, Trochowski, Reyes
Alves, Pique, Mascherano, Adriano
Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta
Messi, Cesc, Pedro
Sevilla will likely be missing influential striker Alvaro Negredo, who has returned to training with the Andalusian side, yet trained separately from his team-mates on Thursday due to his recovery from a hamstring injury. Emir Spahic will also miss the match but has returned to doing physical therapy exercises in training.
On a positive note for the hosts, Frederic Kanoute, Jesus Navas, and Gary Medel have shook off injuries and trained normally with the first-team squad this week.
Barcelona have been rocked by the news this week that Eric Abidal will have to undergo a liver transplant. The Frenchman battled the effects of a liver tumour last season, even managing to compete in the Champions League final. However, further surgery was always a possibility and the defender will have the operation in the next few weeks.
Pep Guardiola may have Alexis Sanchez and Thiago at his disposal after the pair trained fully on Thursday after appearing to have recovered from their hamstring and tibia injuries respectively. However, the pair may have to settle for a place on the bench.
Gerard Pique should return to the starting XI after serving his suspension and it is likely Carles Puyol will be given a rest for the Blaugrana.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- The last match between Sevilla and Barcelona saw Javi Varas keep the Catalans at bay with an outstanding performance between the sticks. Pep Guardiola's side were held to a goalless draw at Camp Nou.
- Sevilla slipped into the bottom half of the table after last weekend's shock defeat to Sporting Gijon. They now sit 11th on 33 points.
- Sevilla have scored nearly a third the amount of goals that Barcelona have notched up this season. The Catalans have netted 75 times and Michel Gonzalez's men have scored just 27 goals.
- Lionel Messi scored his 50th goal of the season in Barcelona's 2-0 victory over Racing Santander last weekend.
- Cesc Fabregas and Lionel Messi have notched up an astounding 65 goals and 47 assists between them so far this season.
- The last time Barca lost to Sevilla was in a Copa del Rey encounter in 2010, when they lwere defeated 2-1.