Two old teams in the Nigeria Premier League will battle for points in the top of the clash encounter in the NPL
On Sunday, the two clubs will try and reproduce the good old days when they take to the pitch in this week 18 match of the Nigeria Premier League.
The two teams have had contrasting fortunes this season. While Rangers seem to be doing well on the table, Shooting Stars are struggling to find their rhythm.
Last week, 3SC suspended their chief coach Festus Allen and appointed Hakeem Busari and Tunde Odubola to take over until a new coach is employed.
Officials of the Ibadan-based side have said that the suspension of Allen will not have adverse effect on the team.
Last Wednesday, they defeated Kwara United through a 10th minute Mutiu Adegoke free kick.
The players are confident that they can shock Rangers at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium in spite of the Enugu team’s good run in the league.
Biodun Akande, a goalkeeper with Shooting Stars told Goal.com that they expect a tough match but is optimistic that they can get a good result from the game.
"We are going through a transformation and a new dawn is setting into the team. And that is why I am sure that we can leave Enugu with three points or at least a point.
"People will say I am boasting, but I am supremely confident that we can pull the surprise of the season by beating Rangers in Enugu.
"It is possible and nobody should write us off," Akande assured.
Rangers are not taking the match lightly after they felt referee Ishaya Pam cheated them in the last game against Sharks.
Captain James Okwuosa said they have resolved to vent their anger on Shooting Stars.
“The pain of losing to Sharks will propel us to beat Shooting Stars. I am so sure of my colleagues who are itching to make sure that the three points remain with us here in Enugu.
"I have always maintained that this season will mark the year Rangers will break the jinx of not winning any trophy in the last 29 years.
"We are ready for the match and we are not going to let this chance slip by. Shooting Stars are a good side and cannot be underrated. They may not be doing well this season, but it is dangerous to say they will fall like a pack of cards.
"But we are ready for the game and everything will go on well for us," Okwuosa said.
The game is bound to generate interest as the two teams would want to impress their fans and make them happy.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Rangers were founded in 1970 and they have never been relegated from the top flight in Nigeria.
- The Flying Antelopes have won six top flight titles, their last one coming 28 years ago in 1984.
- Rangers have won five FA Cup titles.
- They won the African Cup Winners' Cup in 1977, their only title on the continent.
- Shooting Stars were founded two years after their rivals in 1972.
- The Oluyole Warriors have won five top flight league titles, the last in 1998.
- They have won four FA Cup titles.
- The Ibadan side are more successful on the continent with a title each in the 1976 Africa Cup Winners' Cup and 1996 Caf Cup.
Enugu Rangers 2-0 Shooting Stars