Liverpool - Swansea Preview: Brendan Rodgers faces former club for first time since Anfield arrival
The Reds manager departed the Liberty Stadium after a successful two-year tenure with the Welsh club, and now meets his former employers for the first time in the Capital One Cup
By Joe McPhee
Wisdom, Carragher, Coates, Enrique
Sahin, Shelvey, Henderson
Assaidi, Yesil, Downing
Rangel, Monk, Williams, Davies
Routledge, Britton, De Guzman, Gower
For the home side, Luis Suarez is likely to be given a break considering his position of being the only 'senior' striker available in their ranks. This Capital One Cup clash gives manager Brendan Rodgers an opportunity to rest his Uruguayan forward, meaning Samed Yesil could start up front, as he did in the last round against West Brom. Raheem Sterling, Joe Allen and Steven Gerrard are all likely to be rested.
In goal, Pepe Reina's inclusion on the bench for Sunday's Merseyside derby means he may well now be fit enough to start in this one. Stewart Downing should start on the left wing, following his strike in last week's Europa League tie with Anzhi. However, Glen Johnson (muscle spasm), Lucas Leiva (thigh), Fabio Borini (foot) and Martin Kelly (knee) are all still out.
For the visitors, the major news concerns Michel Vorm, who has been ruled out for eight weeks with the groin injury which saw him replaced at Manchester City on Saturday, so German keeper Gerhard Tremmel will deputise.
Garry Monk - club captain and goalscoring hero in the last round against Crawley Town - may get another chance in this competition alongside Ashley Williams, while Michu could drop back into midfield to accommodate striker Danny Graham. Kyle Bartley (thigh) and Neil Taylor (ankle) are long-term absentees, but the rest of the line-up should be strong as the Swans look to knock out last season's cup winners.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Brendan Rodgers' Swansea side claimed four points from Liverpool last year, with a 0-0 draw at Anfield followed by a 1-0 win at home.
- The 1-0 victory at the Liberty Stadium was Rodgers' last game in charge of Swansea.
- The last time these two sides met in a cup match, Liverpool won 8-0 at Anfield in the FA Cup 3rd round in January 1990. Division Three side Swansea initially held a the Reds to a 0-0 draw, but were heavily beaten in the replay.
- Swansea haven't scored a goal at Anfield since a 2-2 draw in October 1981.
- Danny Graham's (pictured) winner in the 1-0 victory in May was his 100th career goal. He has added three more this season, two of which have come in the Capital One Cup.
- Liverpool forward Fabio Borini scored six goals in nine league games whilst playing on-loan for Championship side Swansea in 2010-11.
- Swansea have never advanced past the fourth round of this competition.
- The Reds have kept clean sheets in their last three games at Anfield in all competitions.
|Sign up today with Ladbrokes and get a $20 welcome bonus!|
Top 3 Predictions
Liverpool 2-0 Swansea City
- 21.27 %
Liverpool 3-0 Swansea City
- 17.83 %
Liverpool 3-1 Swansea City
- 13.37 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Sep 16, 2013||Swansea City 2 - Liverpool 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Feb 17, 2013||Liverpool 5 - Swansea City 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Nov 25, 2012||Swansea City 0 - Liverpool 0|
|England - Capital One Cup (League Cup) (CCUP)||Oct 31, 2012||Liverpool 1 - Swansea City 3|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||May 13, 2012||Swansea City 1 - Liverpool 0|
|Dec 7, 2013||Liverpool 4 - West Ham United 1||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||Liverpool 5 - Norwich City 1||EPL|
|Dec 1, 2013||Hull City 3 - Liverpool 1||EPL|
|Nov 23, 2013||Everton 3 - Liverpool 3||EPL|
|Nov 9, 2013||Liverpool 4 - Fulham 0||EPL|
|20||Jonathan De Guzmán||Midfielder|
Times In WAT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed