BATE Borisov - Lille Preview: Ligue 1 side playing for pride in Belarus
Arguably the surprise package of this year's competition will bolster their chances of qualifying for the knockout stages of the Champions League with a victory against the French
By Ben McAleer
FC BATE BORISOV
Radkov, Polyakov, Yurevich, Simic
Sivakov, Baga, Volodko, Olekhnovich
LOSC LILLE MÉTROPOLE
Debuchy, Basa, Chedjou, Bonnart
Balmont, Mavuba, Pedretti
Kalou, Roux, Payet
Victory for BATE on Tuesday night will ensure that qualification for the knockout stages of the Champions League goes to the final round of fixtures between themselves, Valencia and Bayern Munich.
But head coach Viktor Goncharenko will be keen to see his side improve on their 0-0 stalemate from the weekend if they are to continue their surprisingly good form in Europe.
The Belarusian Premier League leaders suffered their fifth draw of the campaign away at Slavia Mozyr on Saturday, but Goncharenko will be bouyed by the fact he has no new injury worries ahead of Matchday 5 encounter with the Group F bottom side, with the hosts likely to remain unchanged following the result.
Lille's Champions League campaign has been nothing short of a disaster having lost all four matches so far, and also head into this fixture against BATE on the back of a poor 2-0 defeat to Lorient on Friday night.
The loss was their first in four games and head coach Rudi Garcia will be keen to return to winning ways as the Ligue 1 side look to pick up their first victory of their Champions League campaign.
The Frenchman will be pleased to have seen his players come through the domestic defeat unscathed and he could well name the same starting XI to take on BATE on Tuesday night.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- BATE Borisov are just three points behind joint Group F leaders Bayern Munich and Valencia.
- The hosts currently top the Belarusian Premier League after 29 games with 65 points, winning 20 and losing just four.
- However, two of those defeats came at the Dynama Stadium, while Valencia secured an impressive 3-0 win over BATE when the two sides met in Minsk last month.
- Lille have lost all four of their Champions League encounters, conceding 12 and scoring just two.
- One of the two goals came in the Group F opening 3-1 defeat to BATE back in September at the Grand Stade Lille Métropole, Aurélin Chedjou netting for the Ligue 1 side.
- Team-mate Salomon Kalou (pictured, right) is the only other Lille player to have netted in the Champions League, one of only three goals for the Ivorian since he signed for Les Dogues from Chelsea over the summer.
Top 3 Predictions
FC BATE Borisov 2-0 LOSC Lille Métropole
- 20.85 %
FC BATE Borisov 2-1 LOSC Lille Métropole
- 10.95 %
FC BATE Borisov 1-0 LOSC Lille Métropole
- 8.83 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Nov 20, 2012||FC BATE Borisov 0 - LOSC Lille Métropole 2|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Sep 19, 2012||LOSC Lille Métropole 1 - FC BATE Borisov 3|
|FC BATE Borisov|
|Feb 21, 2013||Fenerbahçe 1 - FC BATE Borisov 0||EL|
|Feb 14, 2013||FC BATE Borisov 0 - Fenerbahçe 0||EL|
|Dec 5, 2012||FC Bayern München 4 - FC BATE Borisov 1||UCL|
|Nov 20, 2012||FC BATE Borisov 0 - LOSC Lille Métropole 2||UCL|
|Nov 7, 2012||Valencia CF 4 - FC BATE Borisov 2||UCL|
|LOSC Lille Métropole|
|Apr 20, 2014||Olympique de Marseille 0 - LOSC Lille Métropole 0||Lig1|
|Apr 12, 2014||LOSC Lille Métropole 1 - Valenciennes FC 0||Lig1|
|Apr 5, 2014||Toulouse FC 1 - LOSC Lille Métropole 2||Lig1|
|Mar 30, 2014||LOSC Lille Métropole 1 - EA Guingamp 0||Lig1|
|Mar 27, 2014||Rennes 2 - LOSC Lille Métropole 0||FRAC|
|24||Rio Antonio Mavuba||Midfielder|