Chelsea - Juventus Preview: Blues look to repeat home comforts that propelled them to last year's title
Roberto Di Matteo will look to repeat the stunning heroics that lead the west Londoners to the Champions League title, beginning with a tie with the unbeatable Bianconeri
By James Burford
Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Cole
Ramires, Mikel, Lampard
Hazard, Torres, Mata
Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini
Lichtsteiner Pirlo, Asamoah
Chelsea begin the defence of their Champions League title against Italian champions Juventus, with both sides leading their respective leagues after an impressive opening few weeks of the season.
John Terry and Ashley Cole (both ankle) have shaken off knocks that ruled them out of England encounters during the international break and will feature against the Bianconeri. Roberto Di Matteo should also welcome back Juan Mata following the Spaniard's absence from the 0-0 draw against QPR at the weekend.
Juventus will be without former Inter defender Lucio (ankle) with Andrea Barzagli and Giorgio Chiellini set to be partnered by Leonardo Bonucci at the back.
Former Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba is yet to make his Juventus debut but could feature after being included in the Old Lady's squad.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Chelsea won all six of their Champions League home games last season.
- The Blues have finished as group winners in seven of their last nine Champions League campaigns.
- Chelsea won the last meeting between the sides, claiming a 3-2 aggregate victory.
- Gianluigi Buffon will make his 400th appearance for Juventus if he features in Wednesday night's match.
- Juventus are currently on a 42-match unbeaten streak in Serie A, stretching back to the end of the 2010-11 season.
- Juventus are one of only two teams to have won the Champions League on home soil, the other is Borussia Dortmund.
|Sign up today with Ladbrokes and get a $20 welcome bonus!|
Top 3 Predictions
Chelsea Fc 1-2 Juventus
- 18.26 %
Chelsea Fc 2-1 Juventus
- 15.34 %
Chelsea Fc 0-2 Juventus
- 11.04 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Nov 20, 2012||Juventus 3 - Chelsea Fc 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Sep 19, 2012||Chelsea Fc 2 - Juventus 2|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Mar 10, 2009||Juventus 2 - Chelsea Fc 2|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Feb 25, 2009||Chelsea Fc 1 - Juventus 0|
|Dec 17, 2013||Sunderland 2 - Chelsea Fc 1||CCUP|
|Dec 14, 2013||Chelsea Fc 2 - Crystal Palace 1||EPL|
|Dec 11, 2013||Chelsea Fc 1 - Steaua Bucureşti 0||UCL|
|Dec 7, 2013||Stoke City 3 - Chelsea Fc 2||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||Sunderland 3 - Chelsea Fc 4||EPL|
|12||John Obi Mikel||Midfielder|