Genoa - Juventus Preview: Champions aim to maintain unbeaten Serie A run
Antonio Conte's men have started the season well, and will be looking to claim three points to stay at the summit of the league
By William Shand
Ferronetti, Canini, Granqvist, Antonelli
Kucka, Seymour, Merkel
Jankovic, Immobile, Borriello
Caceres, Barzagli, Chiellini
Lich'nr, Vidal, Pirlo, Marchisio, Giaccherini
Juventus will look to make it three wins from three as they travel to Genoa in what could be a tricky post-international fixture.
With the spectre of Chelsea looming, Antonio Conte may opt to shuffle his pack and rest Sebastian Giovinco, despite the diminutive attacker’s brace against Udinese last week.
Elsewhere, Leonardo Bonucci could also be rested, allowing Martin Caceres to return following his recovery from a knee ligament injury. Mauricio Isla, meanwhile, is likely to be named on the bench.
Genoa, meanwhile, have had plenty of time to digest their late capitulation against Catania. Back on home soil, Luigi De Canio may be quietly confident in his team’s ability to stop the Bianconeri juggernaut.
This belief is no doubt boosted by the return of Marco Borriello after a four-year absence. Borriello is likely to be paired alongside Ciro Immobile (a player co-owned by Juventus) and they will be supplemented by a near full-strength squad with new recruit Juan Vargas the only notable absence.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- In the last meeting between the teams, Juventus were held to a 0-0 draw.
- Juventus are the highest scoring team in Serie A so far this season, with 6 goals from 2 games.
- At the other end of the pitch, their defence conceded just 20 goals in the whole of last season, an astonishing 13 goals fewer than their nearest rival.
- Conversely, Genoa had the ignominy of finishing last season with the worst defensive record of any team in Serie A, leaking 69 goals.
- Genoa are the oldest football club in Italy, tracing their roots back to 1893.
- Genoa have won 9 Serie A titles, the latest being in the 1923-24 season.
Top 3 Predictions
Genoa 0-3 Juventus
- 24.82 %
Genoa 0-2 Juventus
- 23.02 %
Genoa 1-3 Juventus
- 10.67 %
|Italy - Serie A (SR-A)||Mar 16, 2014||Genoa 0 - Juventus 1|
|Italy - Serie A (SR-A)||Oct 27, 2013||Juventus 2 - Genoa 0|
|Italy - Serie A (SR-A)||Jan 26, 2013||Juventus 1 - Genoa 1|
|Italy - Serie A (SR-A)||Sep 16, 2012||Genoa 1 - Juventus 3|
|Italy - Serie A (SR-A)||Mar 11, 2012||Genoa 0 - Juventus 0|
|Apr 19, 2014||Genoa 1 - Cagliari 2||SR-A|
|Apr 13, 2014||Torino 2 - Genoa 1||SR-A|
|Apr 7, 2014||Genoa 1 - Milan 2||SR-A|
|Mar 30, 2014||Verona 3 - Genoa 0||SR-A|
|Mar 26, 2014||Genoa 2 - Lazio 0||SR-A|
|-||Roberto Bruno Stillo||Goalkeeper|
|11||Paolo De Ceglie||Defender|
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed