Bayer Leverkusen-Borussia Dortmund Preview: Key battle in race for second place
Both teams have been in fine form of late and will be looking to assert themselves as the nearest challengers to Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga
By Enis Koylu
Carvajal, Wollscheid, Toprak, Boenisch
Bender, Reinartz, Rolfes
Castro, Kiessling, Schurrle
Piszczek, Santana, Hummels, Schmelzer
Blaszczykowski, Gotze, Reus
Both teams come into this fixture with a minimum of injuries. For Leverkusen, the only notable absence is young attacker Karim Bellarabi.
Sebastian Boenisch is expected to continue on the left-hand side of defence ahead of Michal Kadlec.
Meanwhile, Felipe Santana will deputise for Neven Subotic at the heart of the Dortmund defence once again, as the Serbian continues his road back to full fitness from a hamstring injury.
Patrick Owomoyela remains sidelined. Nuri Sahin will have to continue his wait for a first Bundesliga start since returning to the club, while Sven Bender will also start on the bench.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Leverkusen are currently unbeaten at home in the Bundesliga this season, and have won their last five BayArena clashes.
- What's more, they have only lost two of their last 16 games. Ominously, these both came on a Sunday afternoon.
- Werkself midfielder Lars Bender (pictured, right) could face his twin brother Sven in the centre of the park on Sunday. The Leverkusen man has never beaten his sibling.
- Dortmund have only lost one of their last 11 games against Leverkusen - a 2-0 home reverse on the opening day of the 2010-11 season.
- Robert Lewandowski has scored 12 Bundesliga goals this season. Only Stefan Kiessling, his opposite number on Sunday, has scored more.
- Jakub 'Kuba' Blaszczykowski has provided eight assists this season, his personal best-ever tally.
|Sign up today with Ladbrokes and get a $20 welcome bonus!|
Top 3 Predictions
Bayer 04 Leverkusen 1-2 Borussia Dortmund
- 17.38 %
Bayer 04 Leverkusen 1-3 Borussia Dortmund
- 16.99 %
Bayer 04 Leverkusen 0-2 Borussia Dortmund
- 9.96 %
|Germany - 1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Dec 7, 2013||Borussia Dortmund 0 - Bayer 04 Leverkusen 1|
|Germany - 1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Feb 3, 2013||Bayer 04 Leverkusen 2 - Borussia Dortmund 3|
|Germany - 1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Sep 15, 2012||Borussia Dortmund 3 - Bayer 04 Leverkusen 0|
|Germany - 1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Feb 11, 2012||Borussia Dortmund 1 - Bayer 04 Leverkusen 0|
|Germany - 1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Aug 27, 2011||Bayer 04 Leverkusen 0 - Borussia Dortmund 0|
|Bayer 04 Leverkusen|
|Dec 7, 2013||Borussia Dortmund 0 - Bayer 04 Leverkusen 1||BUN|
|Dec 4, 2013||SC Freiburg 1 - Bayer 04 Leverkusen 2||GERC|
|Nov 30, 2013||Bayer 04 Leverkusen 3 - 1. FC Nürnberg 0||BUN|
|Nov 27, 2013||Bayer 04 Leverkusen 0 - Manchester United 5||UCL|
|Nov 23, 2013||Hertha BSC 0 - Bayer 04 Leverkusen 1||BUN|
Times In WAT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed