- America (EN)
- United Kingdom (EN)
- India (EN)
- Ireland (EN)
- Malaysia (EN)
- Singapore (EN)
- Canada (EN)
- Australia (EN)
- Nigeria (EN)
- Ghana (EN)
- Kenya (EN)
- South Africa (EN)
- España (ES)
- Argentina (ES)
Mainz - Borussia Dortmund Preview: Champions look to build on morale-boosting week
Jurgen Klopp's side have enjoyed a terrific triumph over Ajax on Wednesday night, and they will hope to add to their achievements in Europe when they return to Bundesliga action
By Alec Fenn
Pospech, Svensson, Noveski, Junior Diaz
Piszczek, Hummels, Subotic, Schmelzer
Blaszczykowski, Gotze, Reus
There is nothing quite like sealing your place in the knock-out phase of the Champions League to send you into the weekend with a spring in your step.
That is the case for Borussia Dortmund who swept Ajax aside 4-1 on Wednesday and confirmed that they are indeed a force to be reckoned with in Europe.
It has been a different story in the Bundesliga, however, with the reigning champions in fourth place on 22 points, nine points adrift of runaway leaders Bayern Munich heading into Saturday's game.
But their form since the 2-2 draw with Real Madrid on October 10 has been encouraging and back-to-back 3-1 wins over Augsburg and Greuther Furth leave BVB in rude health.
Mainz are enjoying a positive season of their own, though, and after finishing 13th in the division last season, the hosts sit in a respectable eighth place - just five behind Jurgen Klopp's side.
The visitors will be without Lars Bender who misses out with a nose injury, while Patrick Owomoyela continues his rehabilitation from surgery on a troublesome calf problem.
Niko Bungert, Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting and Chinedu Edu are missing for Mainz through knee, fitness and hamstring problems respectively.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Borussia Dortmund have emerged 2-1 victors from their last two clashes with Mainz.
- BVB have won three and drawn two of their last five games in all competitions.
- Robert Lewandowski (right) has scored two goals in each of his last three games.
- Mainz's last victory over Dortmund came back in 2009 when they won 1-0 at the Coface Arena.
- Christian Heidel's team have won four of their five home games in the Bundesliga this season, losing just once.
- Goals have been hard to come by for Saturday's hosts, however, with just 15 scored from their 12 league games to date.
- A Mainz victory would move the club to within just two points of Jurgen Klopp's side in the table.
|Sign up today with Ladbrokes and get a $20 welcome bonus!|
Top 3 Predictions
1. FSV Mainz 05 1-3 Borussia Dortmund
- 17.38 %
1. FSV Mainz 05 0-2 Borussia Dortmund
- 17.05 %
1. FSV Mainz 05 0-3 Borussia Dortmund
- 12.79 %
|Germany - 1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Apr 20, 2013||Borussia Dortmund 2 - 1. FSV Mainz 05 0|
|Germany - 1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Nov 24, 2012||1. FSV Mainz 05 1 - Borussia Dortmund 2|
|Germany - 1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Mar 3, 2012||Borussia Dortmund 2 - 1. FSV Mainz 05 1|
|Germany - 1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Sep 24, 2011||1. FSV Mainz 05 1 - Borussia Dortmund 2|
|Club Friendlies (FR)||Jul 19, 2011||1. FSV Mainz 05 0 - Borussia Dortmund 1|
|1. FSV Mainz 05|
|May 18, 2013||VfB Stuttgart 2 - 1. FSV Mainz 05 2||GER1|
|May 11, 2013||1. FSV Mainz 05 2 - Borussia Mönchengladbach 4||GER1|
|May 4, 2013||Hannover 96 2 - 1. FSV Mainz 05 2||GER1|
|Apr 28, 2013||1. FSV Mainz 05 0 - Eintracht Frankfurt 0||GER1|
|Apr 20, 2013||Borussia Dortmund 2 - 1. FSV Mainz 05 0||GER1|
|Returns:||Mainz $50.00||Sign up today with Ladbrokes and get a $20 welcome bonus!|
|Returns:||Draw $37.50||Sign up today with Ladbrokes and get a $20 welcome bonus!|
|Returns:||Dortmund $16.67||Sign up today with Ladbrokes and get a $20 welcome bonus!|
Times In WAT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed