Bayern Munich - Mainz Preview: Flying Bavarians host Tuchel's side
Jupp Heynckes' side have won all four of their competitive games this season as they look to wrestle the Bundesliga title away from Borussia Dortmund
By Enis Koylu
Lahm, Boateng, Dante, Badstuber
Shaqiri, Muller, Ribery
Zabavnik, Kirchhoff, Noveski, Caligiuri
Muller, Ivanschitz, Choupo-Moting
Bayern Munich boss Jupp Heynckes looks set to be forced into one change from the team that thrashed Stuttgart 6-1 a fortnight ago, with Xherdan Shaqiri coming back in for Arjen Robben, who sustained a thigh injury in the course of his absence on international duty with Netherlands.
Elsewhere, €40 million signing Javi Martinez will be kept on the bench by Luiz Gustavo, who will continue in the deep-lying midfield positions next to Bastian Schweinsteiger, who is fit to start despite missing Germany's recent World Cup qualifiers against Faroe Islands and Austria.
Mario Mandzukic will continue up front in the place of Mario Gomez, who is recovering from ankle surgery, full-backs Diego Contento, David Alaba and Rafinha remain sidelined, meaning that Philipp Lahm will play on the right-hand side of defence, with Holger Badstruber shifted out to left-back.
Meanwhile, Thomas Tuchel is expected to name one change from the starting line-up that lost 1-0 to Greuther Furth two weeks ago, with Radoslav Zabavnik coming in for Niko Bungert. Elsewhere, they should be unchanged.
Eugen Polanski remains with a knee problem, while Ivan Klasnic and Heinz Muller are both unvailable due to sprained ankles.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Bayern Munich also scored nine goals, with only one in reply, in their opening two Bundesliga games 25 years ago, but only managed to record a second-placed finish at the end of the season.
- Roten midfielder Thomas Muller (pictured, right) will be playing this game two days after turning 23. The Germany international has scored four goals in as many competitive games this season, including one against arch-rivals Borussia Dortmund.
- The Bavarians beat Mainz 5-4 on penalties in the third place play-off of the 2011 LIGAtotal! Cup in 2011
- Mainz managed to earn a 0-0 draw in this fixture at the end of last season and a 2-1 win the campaign before.
- Croatian striker Ivan Klasnic is an international colleague of Bayern Munich's Mario Mandzukic, who moved to the Allianz Arena this summer from Wolfsburg.
- Mainz also faced Bavarian opposition a fortnight ago, when they were beaten 1-0 at home by Greuther Furth.
|Sign up today with Ladbrokes and get a $20 welcome bonus!|
Top 3 Predictions
FC Bayern München 3-0 1. FSV Mainz 05
- 19.57 %
FC Bayern München 4-0 1. FSV Mainz 05
- 18.62 %
FC Bayern München 5-0 1. FSV Mainz 05
- 9.31 %
|Germany - 1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Feb 2, 2013||1. FSV Mainz 05 0 - FC Bayern München 3|
|Germany - 1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Sep 15, 2012||FC Bayern München 3 - 1. FSV Mainz 05 1|
|Germany - 1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Apr 14, 2012||FC Bayern München 0 - 1. FSV Mainz 05 0|
|Germany - 1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Nov 27, 2011||1. FSV Mainz 05 3 - FC Bayern München 2|
|Club Friendlies (FR)||Jul 20, 2011||1. FSV Mainz 05 2 - FC Bayern München 2|
|FC Bayern München|
|Jun 1, 2013||FC Bayern München 3 - VfB Stuttgart 2||GERC|
|May 25, 2013||Borussia Dortmund 1 - FC Bayern München 2||UCL|
|May 18, 2013||Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 - FC Bayern München 4||GER1|
|May 11, 2013||FC Bayern München 3 - FC Augsburg 0||GER1|
|May 4, 2013||Borussia Dortmund 1 - FC Bayern München 1||GER1|
|Returns:||Bayern $11.67||Sign up today with Ladbrokes and get a $20 welcome bonus!|
|Returns:||Draw $70.00||Sign up today with Ladbrokes and get a $20 welcome bonus!|
|Returns:||Mainz $150.00||Sign up today with Ladbrokes and get a $20 welcome bonus!|
|30||Luiz Gustavo Dias||Midfielder|
|5||Daniel Van Buyten||Defender|
|10||Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting||Striker|
Times In WAT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed