Montpellier - Paris Saint-Germain Preview: Ancelotti's men look to exact title revenge on hosts
Rene Girard's side welcome the team that they thrillingly beat to the Ligue 1 title last season, as they look to reinvigorate the faltering defence of their crown
By Mohammed Ali
Bocaly, Congre, Hilton, Bedimo
Cabella, Belhanda, Mounier
Van der Wiel, Alex, T. Silva, Maxwell
Verratti, Motta, Matuidi
Montpellier continue to be without captain and key defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, who is serving the last of his five-match ban against Paris Saint-Germain at Stade de la Mosson. Karim Ait Fana is also sidelined after suffering a serious knee injury, which will see him out for six months.
Souleymane Camara should spearhead the attack, with John Utaka or Anthony Mounier fighting it out for a starting berth on the flanks. Marco Estrada's off-field problems could see him be replaced by Benjamin Stambouli or Joris Marveaux, as has been the case lately.
Meanwhile, Carlo Ancelotti is without star striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic who was sent off last weekend for a shocking tackle on goalkeeper Stephane Ruffier. The 31-year-old was given a two-match ban for his antics and has already departed for Sweden to prepare for next week's international friendly against England.
Either Guillaume Hoarau or Ezequiel Lavezzi could replace the Swede, with Ancelotti likely to prefer the No.9, who shrugged off a lack of first-team action recently to score twice last week, though Lavezzi did start in the Champions League against Dinamo Zagreb.
Thiago Motta has returned to training after almost two months out and is available for Sunday's match, as Christophe Jallet is to make way for Gregory van der Wiel after suffering discomfort in Friday training.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Montpellier's defence of the Ligue 1 title sees them currently in 14th place, having won only three league games out of a possible 11 so far.
- La Paillade lost this fixture 3-0 last season, but recovered to draw 2-2 at the Parc des Princes.
- Rene Girard's men have dropped 10 points from winning positions this season so far - more than any other side.
- Nevertheless, Souleymane Camara has scored in all but one of his side's home league games this season.
- Paris Saint-Germain will seek revenge for their 2011-12 title defeat when they meet Montpellier - a win will see them stay top.
- Carlo Ancelotti's side are unbeaten away from home in Ligue 1 - having suffered a home defeat to Saint-Etienne last weekend.
- The capital side have scored in each of their last 10 games against the champions.
- PSG have managed to keep seven clean sheets in 11 league games. Montpellier are still searching for their first at home.
|Sign up today with Ladbrokes and get a $20 welcome bonus!|
Top 3 Predictions
Montpellier Herault SC 1-2 Paris Saint-Germain
- 15.87 %
Montpellier Herault SC 1-3 Paris Saint-Germain
- 14.9 %
Montpellier Herault SC 0-2 Paris Saint-Germain
- 9.38 %
|France - Ligue 1 (Lig1)||Aug 9, 2013||Montpellier Herault SC 1 - Paris Saint-Germain 1|
|France - Ligue 1 (Lig1)||Mar 29, 2013||Paris Saint-Germain 1 - Montpellier Herault SC 0|
|France - Ligue 1 (Lig1)||Nov 11, 2012||Montpellier Herault SC 1 - Paris Saint-Germain 1|
|France - Ligue 1 (Lig1)||Feb 19, 2012||Paris Saint-Germain 2 - Montpellier Herault SC 2|
|France - Ligue 1 (Lig1)||Sep 24, 2011||Montpellier Herault SC 0 - Paris Saint-Germain 3|
|Montpellier Herault SC|
|Dec 4, 2013||Montpellier Herault SC 0 - FC Lorient 2||Lig1|
|Nov 29, 2013||Olympique de Marseille 2 - Montpellier Herault SC 0||Lig1|
|Nov 23, 2013||Montpellier Herault SC 1 - EA Guingamp 1||Lig1|
|Nov 9, 2013||Valenciennes FC 1 - Montpellier Herault SC 1||Lig1|
|Nov 3, 2013||Montpellier Herault SC 1 - FC Nantes 1||Lig1|
|21||Abdelhamid El Kaoutari||Defender|
|23||Gregory van der Wiel||Defender|
Times In WAT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed