Aston Villa - Tottenham Preview: Hosts look to bounce back after Chelsea thrashing
The West Midlands outfit have a point to prove after losing 8-0 to the Blues, while Spurs will also seek to finish off their chances after a stalemate against Stoke
By Sumitpal Rehal
Lowton, Clark, Vlaar, Lichaj
Albrighton, Ireland, Delph, Holman
Walker, Dawson, Caulker, Vertonghen
Lennon, Sandro, Dembele, Bale
Both sides will be seeking goals this Boxing Day after their lack of firepower last time out and changes in formation could be the key for a cracker of a game.
Paul Lambert could welcome back forward Gabriel Agbonlahor after missing the Liverpool and Chelsea clashes with a thigh muscle strain, though Andreas Weimann and Christian Benteke will most likely start up front.
Ron Vlaar will be looking to make a return and improve Villa's defence after the Dutchman missed the last six games with a calf injury.
Andre Villas-Boas will still be without attacking midfielder Clint Dempsey as the American remains sidelined with a groin injury.
Scott Parker could start for Spurs after impressing from the bench during the goalless draw with Stoke.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- The two sides met in October when Steven Caulker and Aaron Lennon bagged the goals in a 2-0 win for Tottenham.
- Andreas Weimann (right) has scored five goals in his last seven games for Aston Villa in all competitions.
- If every Premier League match this season finished after 80 minutes, Spurs would currently be the league leaders. Spurs have conceded 10 goals in the final 15 minutes of matches so far this term.
- Tottenham have the highest percentage of shots from outside the penalty area in the Premier League this season (64 per cent).
- Villa have scored a league low number of goals (15), level with QPR and Stoke.
- Spurs have won half of their away games (4 from 8) with no draws, scoring in every game on the road.
Top 3 Predictions
Aston Villa 1-3 Tottenham
- 13.47 %
Aston Villa 1-2 Tottenham
- 12.33 %
Aston Villa 0-2 Tottenham
- 10.67 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Oct 20, 2013||Aston Villa 0 - Tottenham 2|
|England - Capital One Cup (League Cup) (CCUP)||Sep 24, 2013||Aston Villa 0 - Tottenham 4|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 26, 2012||Aston Villa 0 - Tottenham 4|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Oct 7, 2012||Tottenham 2 - Aston Villa 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||May 6, 2012||Aston Villa 1 - Tottenham 1|
|Apr 12, 2014||Crystal Palace 1 - Aston Villa 0||EPL|
|Apr 5, 2014||Aston Villa 1 - Fulham 2||EPL|
|Mar 29, 2014||Manchester United 4 - Aston Villa 1||EPL|
|Mar 23, 2014||Aston Villa 1 - Stoke City 4||EPL|
|Mar 15, 2014||Aston Villa 1 - Chelsea Fc 0||EPL|
|8||Karim El Ahmadi||Midfielder|
|21||Jordan Nathaniel Bowery||Striker|
Times In WAT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed