West Ham - Chelsea Preview: New boss Benitez hunts for first victory at home of London rivals
The Blues manager has not enjoyed a welcoming start to his tenure at Stamford Bridge and will be looking forward to his first game away from the club’s HQ
By Rhys Turrell
Demel, Reid, Collins, O'Brien
Jarvis, Diame, Noble, Nolan, Taylor
Azpilicueta, Ivanovic, Cahill, Cole
Mata, Oscar, Hazard
The Hammers will be missing long-term injury victims Ricardo Vaz Te (shoulder) and Alou Diarra (thigh), whilst Welsh midfielder Jack Collison (knee) is building up his fitness and this game may come to soon for him.
Yossi Benayoun is ineligible against his parent club, but George McCartney (groin) could return after missing the trip to Old Trafford, whilst Mark Noble is also available after serving a one match ban on Wednesday night.
Rafa Bnitez will have to do without defender David Luiz, as the Brazilian is suspended for the trip to Upton Park after picking up a fifth yellow card in the goalless draw with Fulham on Wednesday night.
Captain John Terry (knee) is not yet ready to return, whilst midfielder Frank Lampard (calf) could miss out on a return to his old stomping ground. Daniel Sturridge (hamstring) is touch-and-go for the trip to east London, and may be saved for the Blues' Champions League clash with Nordsjaelland on Wednesday.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- West Ham have scored just 16 times in their 14 top flight games this season.
- Of those 16 goals, Kevin Nolan has bagged five, with Mark Noble next up on two, while Andy Carroll got his first for the Hammers at Tottenham last weekend.
- West Ham have also conceded 16 goals this season, the fourth lowest tally in the top flight (Chelsea being one of the teams to have conceded less).
- Fernando Torres (pictured, right) is still Chelsea's joint-leading goalscorer.
- The Spaniard has not scored in the Premier League since the Blues' October 6 victory over Norwich.
- The Blues are undefeated at Upton Park since the 2002-03 campaign - the season before Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich bought the club.
- Chelsea have conceded almost 80% of their goals from inside the penalty area this season.
- Rafa Benitez's side have gone five games without a win in all competitions, stretching back to their Champions League victory against Shakhtar, while their last win in Premier League came against Tottenham in October.
Top 3 Predictions
West Ham United 0-2 Chelsea Fc
- 14.8 %
West Ham United 1-3 Chelsea Fc
- 10.58 %
West Ham United 1-2 Chelsea Fc
- 9.8 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 29, 2014||Chelsea Fc 0 - West Ham United 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Nov 23, 2013||West Ham United 0 - Chelsea Fc 3|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Mar 17, 2013||Chelsea Fc 2 - West Ham United 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 1, 2012||West Ham United 3 - Chelsea Fc 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Apr 23, 2011||Chelsea Fc 3 - West Ham United 0|
|West Ham United|
|Apr 19, 2014||West Ham United 0 - Crystal Palace 1||EPL|
|Apr 15, 2014||Arsenal Fc 3 - West Ham United 1||EPL|
|Apr 6, 2014||West Ham United 1 - Liverpool 2||EPL|
|Mar 31, 2014||Sunderland 1 - West Ham United 2||EPL|
|Mar 26, 2014||West Ham United 2 - Hull City 1||EPL|
|12||John Obi Mikel||Midfielder|
Times In WAT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed