Brazil - Belarus Preview: Mano Menezes' men look to continue good form in Olympic tournament
In the second round of group games, Oscar, Hulk, Neymar and Co. head to Old Trafford, with both sides on a roll after impressive victories in their first group games
By Chris Teale
Rafael, Thiago Silva, Juan, Marcelo
Hulk, Damiao Neymar
Polyakov, Kozlov, Kuzmenok, Politevich
Dragun, Bressan, Solovei, Gordeichuck, Baga
After they managed to hold off a late recovery from Egypt in their first game, which finished 3-2, Brazil coach Mano Menezes is unlikely to change what is his strongest available side.
Meanwhile, having also enjoyed victory in their opening game, Belarus will probably keep the same 4-5-1 formation that served them so well.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Brazil have never won the Olympic football tournament in their history, despite having claimed the World Cup on five occasions.
- The Brazilians failed to qualify for the 2004 Olympics, as they suffered defeats to Paraguay and Argentina in the CONMEBOL qualifying tournament.
- Every player in their squad apart from two have been capped by the full Brazil side, with the exceptions being goalkeepers Gabriel and Neto.
- Brazilian striker Neymar (pictured right) has been the subject of intense speculation over a possible transfer to Europe, but has so far remained at Santos.
- Brazil and Belarus have never faced each other in a senior international football game.
- Belarus are making their Olympic football debut at this tournament, having first participated in the Toulon Tournament earlier this year with Egypt, Morocco, Mexico and Japan.
- Only two Belarus squad members are based outside their home country for their club football – goalkeeper Filip Vaytekhovich plays for Sweden’s IK Frej and striker Sergei Kornilenko plays for Krylia Sovetov Samara in Russia.
- Belarus’ squad comprises many players who reached the semi-finals of the Under-21 European Championship in 2011.
|Sign up today with Ladbrokes and get a $20 welcome bonus!|
Top 3 Predictions
Brazil U-23 3-0 Belarus U-23
- 20.28 %
Brazil U-23 3-1 Belarus U-23
- 15.62 %
Brazil U-23 4-0 Belarus U-23
- 11.07 %
|Olympic Games (OLY)||Jul 29, 2012||Brazil U-23 3 - Belarus U-23 1|
|Aug 11, 2012||Brazil U-23 1 - Mexico U-23 2||OLY|
|Aug 7, 2012||Brazil U-23 3 - South Korea U-23 0||OLY|
|Aug 4, 2012||Brazil U-23 3 - Honduras U-23 2||OLY|
|Aug 1, 2012||Brazil U-23 3 - New Zealand U-23 0||OLY|
|Jul 29, 2012||Brazil U-23 3 - Belarus U-23 1||OLY|
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed