Chelsea - Blackburn Preview: Relegated Rovers hoping to bow out with first win in 11 against the Blues
The hosts have one eye on the upcoming Champions League final in Munich meaning the Lancashire outfit could have a chance of leaving the Premier League on a high
By Joe Wright
Bosingwa, Ivanovic, Terry, Bertrand
Romeu, Essien, Ramires
Sturridge, Torres, Malouda
Lowe, Dann, Givet, M Olsson
Hoilett, Dunn, N'Zonzi, Pedersen
With the Champions League final just around the corner, Chelsea are likely to rest as many key players as possible. Gary Cahill and David Luiz were both ruled out on Friday afternoon, meaning John Terry and Branislav Ivanovic - both suspended for the clash with Bayern Munich - will likely partner one another in central defence.
Elsewhere, there could be a chance for a number of fringe players to impress intermin boss Roberto Di Matteo, with the likes of Oriol Romeu, Florent Malouda and Daniel Sturridge all fighting for their future at Stamford Bridge. John Obi Mikel faces a late fitness test on a knee injury, with Ramires - another player banned for the final in Munich - likely to take the Nigerian's place in midfield.
Blackburn will be hoping to have Gael Givet, David Dunn and Paul Robinson fit, although the latter two will face fitness tests ahead of the trip to the Bridge. With their fate already sealed after last Monday's defeat to Wigan, the visitors will most likely field a strong side to take on a second-string Chelsea in order to bow out of the Premier League on a high. Yakubu and Junior Hoilett are expected to start, with both players possibly playing their final matches in the club's colours as other top-flight clubs begin to circle.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Chelsea’s sixth-placed finish was confirmed during Tuesday’s defeat to Liverpool, marking their lowest final Premier League position in a decade.
- The Blues have won just one of their last five Premier League outings 0 a 6-1 demolition of QPR at Stamford Bridge.
- Tuesday's 4-1 thrashing at the hands of Liverpool matches Chelsea’s biggest losing margin in the league during the reign of Roman Abramovich.
- Last Monday’s defeat to Wigan confirmed Blackburn’s relegation, and means they will finish the campaign with fewer than 35 points for the first time since 1979.
- The Lancashire outfit have lost seven of their last eight matches, and have failed to win in 16 visits to the capital.
- Yakubu (pictured right) has scored 16 goals in the league this season; only Andy Johnson in the 2004/05 campaign with Crystal Palace has ever scored more for a relegated side.
- Blackburn have failed to score in their last five visits to Stamford Bridge.
- Chelsea have lost just one of their last 17 meetings with Rovers in the Premier League, and are unbeaten in 11.
|Sign up today with Ladbrokes and get a $20 welcome bonus!|
Top 3 Predictions
Chelsea Fc 3-0 Blackburn Rovers
- 15.14 %
Chelsea Fc 8-0 Blackburn Rovers
- 11.36 %
Chelsea Fc 2-0 Blackburn Rovers
- 9.44 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||May 13, 2012||Chelsea Fc 2 - Blackburn Rovers 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Nov 5, 2011||Blackburn Rovers 0 - Chelsea Fc 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 15, 2011||Chelsea Fc 2 - Blackburn Rovers 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Oct 30, 2010||Blackburn Rovers 1 - Chelsea Fc 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Mar 21, 2010||Blackburn Rovers 1 - Chelsea Fc 1|
|Mar 8, 2014||Chelsea Fc 4 - Tottenham 0||EPL|
|Mar 1, 2014||Fulham 1 - Chelsea Fc 3||EPL|
|Feb 26, 2014||Galatasaray 1 - Chelsea Fc 1||UCL|
|Feb 22, 2014||Chelsea Fc 1 - Everton 0||EPL|
|Feb 15, 2014||Manchester City 2 - Chelsea Fc 0||FA|
Times In WAT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed