Who will stay? - Elrich 'worried' about Adelaide's future

ShareClose Comments
The Reds could be set for another disastrous A-League campaign unless they start signing players soon, according to one of their veterans

With captain Eugene Galekovic and playmaker Marcelo Carrusca headlining a large group of players expected to leave Adelaide United, defender Tarek Elrich is "worried" about the Reds' future.

Adelaide bowed out of the AFC Champions League (ACL) on Tuesday night with a 1-0 loss to Jiangsu Suning, with the home side missing a raft of chances at Coopers Stadium as they chased the win they needed to reach the Round of 16.

In the end even three points wouldn't have been enough, however, as Jeju United defeated Gamba Osaka 2-0 in the other Group H clash when Adelaide needed the J.League club to at least claim a draw.

ACL 2017: Evergrande advance, Adelaide bow out

The loss means the Reds will turn their attention to 2017-18 and look to improve on what has proved a disastrous defence of their 2015-16 premiership-championship double in the A-League.

Adelaide saw a raft of key players leave after winning their maiden domestic championship last year and widespread reports indicate history is set to repeat itself.

Speaking to Fox Sports before Adelaide faced Jiangsu, Elrich conceded he isn't convinced by the club's recruitment ahead of next season as he believes they have "only got about seven or eight players signed".

But Adelaide CEO Grant Meyer has subsequently claimed Elrich's claims were "false".

It is expected that Galekovic has played his final game for the club after leading Adelaide out against Jiangsu, with the 35-year-old goalkeeper having spent almost a decade with the Reds.

Carrusca, Sergio Cirio and Dylan McGowan are also expected to depart, while there is doubt surrounding the retention of mid-season recruits Baba Diawara and Kim Jae-sung.

Kim wants Adelaide contract extension

"I'm worried about next season, I think we've only got about seven or eight players signed," said Elrich, who is sidelined with a major knee injury.

"This season that just went past we left our signings very late and it showed.

"We didn't take off too quick and we finished off the season on a bit of a high and as bad as it sounds, I can see a repeat of that if the club doesn't make their decisions soon."

Meyer told foxsports.com.au on Wednesday: "Reality is, the club will have its 14th player signed by Thursday.

"We respect Tarek's right to support his team-mates but cannot accept any player providing misinformation to the public."

Adelaide failed to win until Round 9 in 2016-17 and eventually finished ninth, which has prompted speculation coach Guillermo Amor will not be offered a contract extension.

Asked about his personal situation after the loss to Jiangsu, Amor claimed it was not the right moment.

Amor not thinking about A-League future

"Here in this moment, no," Amor said.

"I don't know if it's the next hours, the next days, tomorrow, after tomorrow - it's possible. But now, here, no."

Next article:
Bosz bemoans missed chances as Dortmund let two-goal lead slip
Next article:
Why Jack Wilshere has the 'cojones' Arsenal need to succeed
Next article:
Premier League fixtures & results: TV schedule, live stream & guide to Week 9
Next article:
U17 Wolrd Cup: USA coach John Hakcworth bemoans choice of match officials in England defeat
Next article:
Hamburg 0 Bayern Munich 1: Tolisso sends Heynckes' men joint-top
Close