Lloris banned & fined £50,000 after pleading guilty to drink-driving

The Tottenham captain was twice the legal limit when stopped by police, and has now been suspended from driving and given a hefty fine

Tottenham goalkeeper Hugo Lloris has been banned from driving for 20 months and fined £50,000 after pleading guilty to drink-driving.

The France international attended a hearing at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Wednesday after he was stopped by police on August 24.

The court was told the 31-year-old provided a sample containing 80 micrograms of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath, more than twice the legal limit in England and Wales.

An unmarked police car had spotted Lloris – who captained Les Bleus to World Cup glory in Russia on July 15 - as he drove his Porsche Panamera in the early hours, with prosecutor Henry Fitch claiming the player went through a red light before being stopped.

Fitch also told the court that police saw Lloris driving at 15mph in a 30mph zone, and veering towards parked cars before correcting himself. Vomit was discovered within the car, and Lloris had to be helped from the vehicle by officers.

David Sonn, defending, said Lloris had been dining in a restaurant where he received drinks from fellow diners.

"On July 15 he was arguably the proudest man on the planet [after France’s World Cup triumph]," Mr Sonn said.

"Just 40 days later, he was arrested. He experienced the indignity of being handcuffed and put in a police station overnight.

"The spectacular fall from grace is not lost on Mr Lloris," he said.

The keeper issued a statement after his arrest, featuring a fulsome apology.

“I wish to apologise wholeheartedly to my family, the club, my team-mates, the manager and all of the supporters,” he said.

“Drink driving is completely unacceptable, I take full responsibility for my actions and it is not the example I wish to set.”

The club stated that they would deal with the "extremely serious" matter internally.

He featured in Spurs' first game after his initial arrest - a 3-0 victory at Manchester United - but was left out of the squad for the following game against Watford due to injury.

Earlier this week, Lloris spoke about the 'mistake' he had made, telling RMC, he stated: “Like everyone, I have my private life. I made a mistake. You have to accept responsibility for it. I have to stay focused on the most important things to me, the pitch, my friends, my family. I always want to go out onto the field to have fun and keep improving myself.”

Lloris has been nominated for The Best FIFA Goalkeeper award, along with Chelsea's Thibaut Courtois and Leicester City's Kasper Schmeichel.

Mauricio Pochettino's side return to action against Liverpool this weekend, but it remains to be seen if Lloris will feature. Spurs are currently fifth in the Premier League table.

Next article:
Mourinho calls on Man Utd to follow Federer's lead amid Young Boys pitch concerns
Next article:
'Manchester is still red!' - Ex-United star Memphis teases City ahead of Champions League clash
Next article:
'Bale & Real Madrid stronger without Ronaldo' - Manolas
Next article:
Juventus star Costa stung with four-match ban after spitting incident
Next article:
Mourinho hints at Rashford start against Young Boys
Close