Man City seek talks with Wigan over pitch invasion & Aguero altercation

ShareClose Comments
The Premier League leaders are concerned that the League One club's security arrangements put the safety of their players at risk

Manchester City officials will seek talks with their Wigan counterparts in the coming days to discuss security arrangements at the DW Stadium and establish how a pitch invasion, which led to Sergio Aguero being confronted by fans, was allowed to happen.

Wigan knocked City out of the FA Cup in remarkable circumstances on Monday evening, with Will Grigg's goal grounding Pep Guardiola's high-flying side after they had been reduced to 10 men just before half-time.

Fabian Delph's red card sparked heated scenes between Guardiola and Wigan boss Paul Cook on the touchline and in the tunnel at half-time, while Aguero also rowed with Cook as players from both sides clashed on the pitch.

That stoked the atmosphere for the second half and Grigg's goal 79th-minute goal ensured a dramatic and emotional finale.

The home side managed to ride out City's late surges forward and referee Anthony Taylor's final whistle acted as the starting pistol for hundreds of fans who were determined to celebrate their famous victory on the pitch.

Yet a small number of those supporters approached Aguero and jostled with the Argentine striker, who reacted and had to be pulled away.

Article continues below

Neither manager was willing to comment on the incident after the game, but City sources have told Goal that the club will make their displeasure known to Wigan.

They believe that measures should have been in place to prevent supporters from entering the pitch, which would have averted any issues regarding supporters confronting players.

City recently wrote a letter to referees' chief Mike Riley about the standard of officiating in their matches, and proposed rule changes which would allow incidents seen by the referee to be subjected to retroactive action, which could mean yellow cards being upgraded to red.

Next article:
Keita: I turned down Barca and Bayern for Liverpool
Next article:
Roma 'couldn't say no' to £65m Alisson offer, says Totti
Next article:
Everton & Leicester-linked Plattenhardt feels at home at Hertha
Next article:
Who will win Liga MX? Goal handicaps the Apertura title race
Next article:
Transfer news & rumours LIVE: Real Madrid prepare £50m Trippier bid
Close

We use cookies to give you the best online experience. By using our website you agree to our use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy.

Show more Accept