League Cup Round-Up: Fulham fall to shock defeat at Sheffield Wednesday but Aston Villa & QPR cruise through

Norwich City survive an equaliser from Scunthorpe to make it into the third round, while some spectacular Southampton and Wigan goals see off Stevenage and Nottingham Forest

League Cup
2nd Round Results

Mauro Boselli got the Latics going midway through the first half when he powered a header home from an excellent right-wing cross by full-back Ronnie Stam, his first goal for the club for nearly two years after a spell on loan.

It was a fine goal but far bettered by Maynor Figueroa’s effort 10 minutes later. The Honduran picked the ball up outside the area on the left flank and advanced a few steps before aiming an incredible, gently curving shot into the far corner.

The great strikes just kept on coming for Wigan, Jordi Gomez next to score shortly before half-time with a powerful 20-yard hit from the right in space.

The visitors looked home and dry at the break but Forest responded immediately after the restart, forward Simon Cox chesting the ball down before unleashing a 30-yard thunderbolt to restore hope.

Wigan fended off Sean O’Driscoll’s men until there were just over 10 minutes to go, when things got rather hairier thanks to Antolin Alcaraz being dismissed for a harsh second yellow card.

Substitute Callum McManaman allayed any fears, though, by skipping through the defence just before the end of normal time, bamboozling Danny Collins before slotting home in impressive fashion.


Fulham were unexpectedly ousted from the League Cup at Hillsborough by a Sheffield Wednesday team who proved every bit equal to what appeared a fairly strong team from the Premier League outfit.

The Cottagers’ pre-match plans were disrupted when Bryan Ruiz was injured in the warm-up, to be replaced by Damien Duff in what appeared to constitute a change of intended shape for Martin Jol.

They reached half-time level with their Championship hosts but defender Stephen Kelly conceded a penalty five minutes after the break, clumsily bringing down Chris Maguire.

Gary Madine converted the spot-kick calmly to give the Owls an unexpected lead and it stuck for the whole game, despite the Cottagers briefly celebrating having put a header home before realising that it had been disallowed.


Simon Lappin has not had a great many games at Carrow Road in recent seasons but the 29-year-old made his first contribution of the 2012-13 campaign by opening the scoring against the League One side in style from over 20 yards out.

Only moments later, though, he was outdone by the Iron’s Mark Duffy, who snuck past a marker before pushing on and driving home from long range, threatening to continue the Canaries’ poor recent record in domestic cups.

Order was restored, however, when tricky midfielder Wes Hoolahan glided into the box, where he was fouled by Niall Canavan for a penalty. The Irishman dusted himself off to convert and put Chris Hughton’s men 2-1 up and safely into the third round.


The newly promoted Saints had the ball in the net within just three minutes thanks to youngster James Ward-Prowse feeding Billy Sharp, but the former Doncaster man was ruled offside and the goal disallowed.

The striker turned provider after half-time, though, when he crossed for Tadanari Lee to put away his first goal of the season after a long injury lay-off and finally got his name on the scoresheet a few minutes later, though in some controversy.

Stevenage fans were up in arms when Saints were awarded a free kick for the home keeper supposedly handling a back-pass, which Richard Chaplow took quickly to set Sharp up.

There was no doubt about the third just moments later, though. Winger Jason Puncheon flicked the ball into the air before dispatching a glorious 25-yard volley into the net in style reminiscent of Southampton hero Matt Le Tissier.

Michael Thalassitis came off the bench to nick one late for Stevenage but youngster Ben Reeves put any thoughts of a miracle comeback to bed with a brilliant long-range shot of his own to open his account for the Saints.



With manager Paul Lambert seeking the first competitive win of his Villa Park career, temporary captain Darren Bent started the game as well as the likes of Stephen Ireland and the hosts backed up their favourites status.

Young midfielder Fabian Delph put the icing on a solid first-half performance by putting away Enda Stephens’ cross in the six-yard box shortly before the break.

Chris Herd then made safe a comfortable victory as he finished off a delivery from Ireland, who did excellent work down the right flank to put Lambert’s mind at ease, before Bent made it three after pouncing on a cut-back from Australian import Brett Holman.



QPR fielded a strong side after manager Mark Hughes had earlier declared that they would take the competition seriously, Jose Bosingwa making his debut and Alejandro Faurlin returning after a long injury absence.

And it was Shaun Wright-Phillips who made the breakthrough at Loftus Road, latching onto an excellent ball from Bobby Zamora to poke home from close range.

An encouraging performance from the Rs got better in the second half when Zamora took his turn to score with a delightful chip, having been set up by Kieron Dyer’s through-ball – the midfielder making a rare on-pitch appearance after years of injury woe.

Bosingwa then capped a solid start to his QPR career by thumping a third high into the net to book his side’s passage into the third round.


Find out how the other Premier League sides got on in League Cup action on Tuesday in the second part of our round-up by clicking here.

Tuesday's other League Cup results:

1-1 Plymouth (3-2 on penalties)
2-1 Ipswich (after extra time)
Coventry City 3-2 Birmingham City (after extra time)
Crawley Town 2-1 Bolton
Doncaster 3-2 Hull City
Gillingham 0-2 Middlesbrough
Leeds 3-0 Oxford United
Leicester City 2-4 Burton Albion
MK Dons 2-1 Blackburn
Preston 4-1 Crystal Palace
Watford 1-2 Bradford City