The 28-year-old has been excused from Newcastle's squad to face Norwich City and will fly to Paris on Tuesday to undergo a medical and discuss personal termsBy Liam Twomey
Yohan Cabaye is expected to complete a £20 million move from Newcastle to Paris Saint-Germain on Tuesday, Goal understands.
The Ligue 1 giants dispatched representatives to Tyneside to thrash out a deal for the 28-year-old after their initial offer, believed to be in the region of £14m, was rejected.
And Cabaye has now been excused from the Newcastle squad to face Norwich City on Tuesday evening as he flies to Paris to undergo a medical and discuss personal terms.
|50/1||Newcastle are 50/1 with Betway to finish in the top four|
"Am I confident [of retaining Cabaye]? No," he told reporters. "I don't think any team not in a Champions League position, or fighting for a Champions League position, would be different.
"We would need to bring someone in, that's for sure. You can't lose someone of his ability and not replace him."
And the club have already identified a replacement for the France international, with Montpellier chairman Laurent Nicollin claiming Newcastle have a deal in place to sign Remy Cabella this summer.
"We have an agreement with the leaders of Newcastle that I will not reveal," Nicollin told Midi Libre earlier this month.
"But it does not include a departure for Remy before June, it is a certainty."
Manchester City also stand to be unlikely beneficiaries of Cabaye's return to Ligue 1, with the 28-year-old's arrival at the Parc des Princes pushing Blaise Matuidi closer to a January exit.