thumbnail Hello,

PDRM pulled off a surprising result against the Red Giants while the Southern Tigers were held to a goalless draw at home


It was the second round of group matches in the Malaysia Cup as 4 matches took place on Tuesday night. The first match that finished was at Jalan Besar Stadium in Singapore where LionsXII hosted Pahang. Dickson Nwakaeme continued his fine form to open the scoring but would have be contented with the second best goal of the match as Fauzi Roslan produced a stunning shot from outside the box that found the top corner. Faris Ramli pulled one back for the former Super League champions but it had no bearing on the final outcome.

Meanwhile just across the causeway at Larkin Stadium, highly fancied JDT side found Syed Adney’s goal too tough to breach and had to settle for a draw. The Armed Forces goalkeeper was made to work hard as the home side peppered his goal with numerous shots but neither Luciano Figueroa nor Jorge Diaz could find the necessary quality to beat Syed Adney.

Moving up north, it was the Fakri Saraani show at Stadium Sultan Mohammad IV. The national player scored in the 10th minute to put Kelantan ahead, benefiting from a good Badhri Radzi pass. He then earned the home side a penalty, which Forkey Doe put away past G. Jeevananthan in Penang’s goal. Although Penang did well to pull back the deficit to just one when Rafiuddin Rodin scored in the 59th minute, Fakri had the last laugh just 3 minutes before the full 90.

Last but not least, it was a goal fest at Selayang Stadium and the fans were treated with an enormous amount of drama. Felda United opened a comfortable 2-0 lead by the 30th minute after goals from Syamin Yahya and Edward Wilson looked like putting the The Fighters on their way to an easy win. However, JDT II turned the screw back on by clawing back to level the tie. The Southeners started their revival early in the second half as Zaquan Adha narrowed the gap in the 52nd minute before Syafiq Shahrudin put the game back on level terms with the equaliser in the 61st minute. The fight back was shortlived as it took only 11 minutes for The Fighters to find the winning goal. Experienced professional, Shahrulnizam Mustapha showed his worth by coming out with the goods.

The match between Kedah and Terengganu was an entertaining one with five goals scored in the game which was won by the away side by 3-2. Ashaari Shamsuddin put the Turtles ahead with two goals scored in the 8th minute and 45th minute before Billy Mehmet scored a goal for the home side to make the scoreline 2-1 before the break. In second half, Baddrol Bakhtiar scored an equaliser for Kedah to make the scoreline 2-2 in the 60th minute. The Turtles however was too good for them to handle after Mario Karlovic grabbed the winning goal in the 74th minute to give his team valuable three away points.

In another match in group B saw Perak took on Sarawak in Ipoh. The match was dominated by the home side and at the end of time, they won it by 2-0. The goals were scored in each half with Nasir Basharuddin in the 44th minute and later Abdulafees Abdulsalam added the scoreline to two goals in the 50th minute. With the defeat, the Crocs continue their dismal record in Perak since 2004.

Selangor and PDRM were up against each other in Group D in Shah Alam. The opposition managed to surprise the home side with a convincing 2-0 victory. The Red Giants were one goal down as early as the 15th minute after the kick off after Ali Ashfaq scored a penalty kick and to make things worse, their captain, Bunyamin was red carded. The visitors took full advantage of having more players to score another goal from Chad Souza in the 69th minute to make the scoreline 2-0.

Meanwhile, T-Team were up against Sime Darby FC in a match which saw the home side won by 2-1. The home fans were given an early shock after Dilshod scoring the first goal for the visitors just before the break. In the second half, Ramzul proved his worth after he scored the winning goal for the T-Team to make the scoreline 2-1 at the end of the game.