MSL Round Report Week 25: Champions endure second defeat of season while Selangor take over third place

Selangor seal third-place in the Super League with a nervy win over Sabah and have now confirmed qualification for the group stages of 2013 AFC Cup

Kelantan, the Malaysian Super League’s newly-crowned champions, had their 24 match unbeaten league run ended with a shocking defeat at the hands of relegation strugglers Felda United. Frenchman Antoine-Curier scored the only goal in to consign Kelantan to their first defeat since February. With the win Felda have moved two points clear off the relegation zone.

Sabah lost 3-2 to Selangor in Shah Alam, although they nearly managed to snatch a point after a late resurgence. Selangor skipper Amri Yahyah scored the opening goal, and the impressive Solehin Kanasian netted the second goal on the thirty minute mark. Right after the break Selangor’s top scorer Boško Balaban extended the home teams lead to seemingly put the game to bed. However five minutes before time, Sabah exploded with two late goals, one from Brendan Gan and the other from wonderkid, Rozaimi Rahman. With 25 points, Sabah will now definitely finish second from bottom and play for their Super League status in a play-off.

T-Team secured their Super League place with the win over second-placed Lions XII. Former Malaysia captain, Rosdi Talib netted the winner from the spot for T-Team, after a Bojan Petric own-goal had cancelled out Azrul Hazran's early goal for the home team.

In Kuching, Sarawak hosted a crucial match against PKNS. PKNS went into the match with the advantage of being outside the relegation zone, and the pressure was all on ‘The Crocs’ to leapfrog their opponents in the league. The match ended in a goalless draw, and Sarawak now only has a slim chance of avoiding the relegation play-off as their next opposition is Kelantan.

A stoppage time equalizer by Pritam Singh denied Negeri Sembilan three points in a thrilling match against Kuala Lumpur at the Paroi Stadium. Shakir Ali put Sembilan ahead right after half-time and their lead remained all the way until the match entered injury time.  However they would be denied at the death when Kuala Lumpur finally levelled and brought home only their fifth point of the season through their fifth draw.

Kedah made a stirring comeback against Perak in a game where both sides finished the game with ten men. Cameroonian forward Bodjongo gave ‘The Seladangs’ the lead before Kedah’s Baddrol Bakhtiar struck from the penalty spot to draw them level. The ever present Khyril Muhymeen then struck the winner in injury time to give the visitors their three points. Despite their victory, Kedah will still need to enter the play-offs to maintain their Super League status following Felda’s win over Kelantan.

Brazilian Fernando de Abreu scored his first goal for Johor FC as took on fifth-placed Terengganu at Pasir Gudang Stadium. Shahrizal Saad scored the second goal just ten minutes after the first to secure the three points for the home team which may well be enough for them to avoid the relegation play-off. Terengganu manager Peter Butler is now under pressure after several under-par performances since taking over from Mat Zan Mat Aris.