The Italian says the Argentina international was left out of the Supercopa defeat at the hands of Atletico Madrid due to a "technical decision", amid links with Manchester UnitedReal Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti insists that his side did not miss Angel Di Maria in Friday's Supercopa loss to Atletico Madrid.
The Argentine was left out of the European champions' matchday squad for the trip to the Vicente Calderon, where Diego Simeone's side won 1-0 to seal a 2-1 aggregate victory.
However, the former Chelsea and AC Milan coach believes that the ex-Benfica winger, who has been targeted by Manchester United, would not have been able to make a difference.
"It was a technical decision that we did not need Di Maria," he told reporters after the game.
"In the second half we lost control of the game. We needed more possession like in the first half of the game. Afterwards, we gave more opportunities to Atletico.
"We haven't spoken about winning six titles. We've spoken about being the best candidate for titles, but not about winning six.
"We didn't play well this game, but it's better to lose this match than [the Champions League final] in Lisbon."
Ancelotti has previously admitted that Di Maria is keen to leave the club, along with fellow Supercopa absentee Sami Khedira.