thumbnail Hello,
Malaysia was embroiled in a battle against Indonesia in the SEA Games 2013 semifinals.

Goal Malaysia readers pick Indonesia as Harimau Malaya's biggest rivals

Malaysia was embroiled in a battle against Indonesia in the SEA Games 2013 semifinals.

Getty Images

A whopping 62% of Goal Malaysia readers voted Indonesia as Malaysia's biggest rivals compared to Singapore when it comes to football

After what was an enthralling SEA Games campaign, we posed a question to Goal Malaysia readers. Who are Malaysia's biggest rivals when it comes to football? Singapore or Indonesia?

Clashes between Malaysia and these two sides have always attracted so much of excitement and hostility as well; not that its surprising either. Both nations are not too far away from Malaysia and share culture that is almost similar. However, a massive 62% of Goal Malaysia readers voted for Indonesia as Malaysia's biggest rivals while the remaining 38% voted for Singapore.

These two sides have had their fair share of epic battles in recent times. Malaysians would always remember the 2010 Suzuki Cup final as a massive benchmark, considering that the Malayan Tigers were defeated 5-0 by Indonesia in the opening game, although they ultimately bounced back and defeated got their revenge against Indonesia in the final.

A year after that, Ong Kim Swee's Harimau Muda team marched into the finals of the SEA Games, where they went up against a solid Indonesian side with the backing of their boisterous home fans at the Gelora Bung Karno stadium. The Young Tigers played their heart out and won the match on penalties to inflict another major defeat on Indonesia.

But even in the recently concluded SEA Games, Malaysia faced Indonesia in the semi finals of the competition, though this time around, luck wasn't on their side. They were dragged all the way to penalties and ultimately lost their crown at that stage as Indonesia booked a spot in the finals.

One common aspect of all these clashes is the manner in which it is usually hyped about. So much of attention is usually given towards these games, and as long as a healthy rivalry is maintained, long may that continue.

WHAT THE FANS SAY

We've also selected the thoughts and comments of our readers in general, to see which team they regard as Malaysia's biggest rivals.

The "atmosphere" of Indonesian's fans & medias including their goverment involves make them as our NEW bigger rivals, Simple...defeated singapore in merdeka cup easy to forget but loose to Indonesia very heartbreak
Derinstar: "Hi, I'm from Indonesia. Its Southeast Asia's 'El Clasico' I believe. Unfortunately, the mass media here always relate the match with political issues between the two countries. Football is football. Respect to both teams."
here always stick the match with political issue between two countries which i don't like the most. Soccer is always soccer ! Respect to both team.

Marzuki: "Definitely Indonesia, but derby matches against Singapore are quite entertaining too."

Mohd Yuzaili Bin Mat Yusop: "The atmosphere of the Indonesian fans and media made Indonesia as our biggest rivals. A defeat to Singapore would be easy to forget, but a loss to Indonesia is heartbreaking!"

Riyyan: "I'm an Indonesian and I love to watch the rivalry between the two teams which is even 'saucier' than the rivalry between Thailand and Vietnam. We need a strong rival like Malaysia to make us an even better team. I have no issues with the rivalry as long as it is sporting and positive. Respect for both Malaysia and Indonesia."
The "atmosphere" of Indonesian's fans & medias including their goverment involves make them as our NEW bigger rivals, Simple...defeated singapore in merdeka cup easy to forget but loose to Indonesia very heartbreak
The "atmosphere" of Indonesian's fans & medias including their goverment involves make them as our NEW bigger rivals, Simple...defeated singapore in merdeka cup easy to forget but loose to Indonesia very heartbreak

Related

From the web