The Portuguese has been sacked by Daniel Levy after Tottenham's humiliating 5-0 defeat at home to Liverpool, and the former striker feels the summer spending is partly to blameEXCLUSIVE
By Russell Stoddart
Former Tottenham midfielder Paul Walsh believes technical director Franco Baldini should also be held responsible for the club's poor form which led to Andre Villas-Boas' sacking Monday.
Spurs confirmed that an agreement had been reached with the 36-year-old for him to leave White Hart Lane after Liverpool humiliated the north Londoners with a 5-0 win on Sunday.
|VILLAS-BOAS LEAVES TOTTENHAM!
FOLLOW THE STORY WITH GOAL
|TOTTENHAM SACK AVB
|THE CONTENDERS TO SUCCEED VILLAS-BOAS
|WHY FRAUD AVB HAD TO GO
"It all depends who is picking the team," Walsh told Goal. "If technical director Franco Baldini is suggesting players to Villas-Boas and he agrees, then Villas-Boas must accept the responsibility for the players he picks, but if the transfer policy is out of his hands then I’ve got some sympathy.
"In my opinion, there is no way that Villas-Boas has spent that £100m-plus. For instance, Baldini has used his ties at former club Roma to bring in Erik Lamela from the Italian club for a whopping £30m but he’s hardly kicked a ball.
"If Baldini has gone to the board and the board has sanctioned the transfer without Villas-Boas' approval, then Baldini has a lot to answer for.
"Whoever is to blame, one thing for sure is that the balance of the team is all wrong for the type of players being picked. At the very least there needs to be one less holding player in midfield and more emphasis on attack.
"New signings Paulhino, Etienne Capoue and Nacer Chadli are probably good players, but they are not creative enough and won’t win games for Spurs.
"They brought in Roberto Soldado from Valencia as a goalscorer but as a result of the lack of creativity behind him he’s being starved of the chances."
Walsh, though, notes that Villas-Boas tactical approach was also a contributing factor, and he does not expect the Portuguese to be afforded a third chance to shine in the Premier League after previously failing at Chelsea.
He continued: "Another problem is that wide men such as Andros Townsend look to cut inside too often and end up playing one-twos with Soldado or Jermain Defoe, and taking away the space that strikers thrive on.
|7/1||Glenn Hoddle is 7/1 with BetVictor to be the next Tottenham boss|
"Spurs have not been adventurous enough and I’d like to see them juggling their midfield to allow for two upfront, such as the way Liverpool do to accommodate both Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge.
"The problem now is that we don’t know how much money is in the kitty for the next man. If they want to ship out some of the summer buys, they won’t get anywhere near what they paid for them and would another £50m on top of that already spent be enough?
"What frustrates me as a former Spurs players is that in Luka Modric and Rafael van der Vaart they had players that could have made the difference to the current side. I know Modric wanted to go to Madrid, but Spurs should have kept hold of Van der Vaart.
"It is just another chapter in the Spurs soap opera, but I don’t know who would come in and sort it out. If it was me, I wouldn’t be against taking another punt on Glenn Hoddle. He knows the club, he knows how to put a team together and his teams have that attractive style that Spurs fans love.
"As for Villas-Boas, I can’t see him getting a third chance at a big club in England. I suspect his confidence in his own ability is no longer shared by many others in the game in this country."
Meanwhile, former Spurs manager George Graham feels recent results have failed to live up to the club's expectations after seven new players arrived during the summer transfer window.
"When you spend the amount of money Spurs spent during the summer then you expect better results than they’ve been getting of late," he told Goal.
"If you are in charge of a club like Spurs and lose 5-0 at home after the run they’ve been on then there is bound to be speculation."
Graham, who was in charge at White Hart Lane between 1998 and 2001 felt that Villas-Boas could have turned the club's fortunes around given more of a chance, but understands chairman Daniel Levy's decision to sack the Head Coach after 17 months at the helm.
"Andre Villas-Boas had some good results earlier on and brought in some good players, so perhaps he has been treated a bit harshly.
"It would only take a couple of wins and things would look better, but nothing surprises me in football any more and you no longer get time to iron out problems.
"He has been regarded as a promising young manager, but Spurs may have looked at other good young managers, such as Brendan Rodgers at Liverpool and Roberto Martinez at Everton, and thought they could do better.
"All clubs need stability and Spurs need it as much as any club, but it comes from the top and Spurs obviously feel they’ve given him enough time and they need to change direction."
Spurs face West Ham in the Capital One Cup quarter-finals on Wednesday ahead of a tough away clash with Southampton on Sunday, and Graham feels Villas-Boas' successor will be under immediate pressure to reverse the club's poor form.
"Whoever they bring in to replace him will be under pressure to turn things round when there is still time," he said.
"With the January transfer window coming up he might be able to bring in some players, but the club spent big in the summer and they might need to off-load a few."