thumbnail Hello,

The Blues manager, speaking ahead of the Champions League clash with Napoli, says he has set about making the necessary changes that will lead the club into a bright future

Andre Villas-Boas has defended his position as Chelsea manager, stating that he would not have left Porto if he was not confident he could succeed at Stamford Bridge.

The Portuguese manager arrived in London last summer, having spent only one season - during which he won the Portuguese league title, domestic cup, Europa League and going an entire season unbeaten at Estadio Dragao.

However, the 34-year-old manager still has great belief in his ability to change the structure of Chelsea, something which he believes is a necessity, and to bring more trophies to Stamford Bridge in the future.

"This is the richest part of Chelsea's history and we want to perpetuate that into the future - but we have to make changes" said the 34-year-old.

"I wouldn't have moved if I didn't feel confident I could take this challenge through."

The former Academica man has overseen a number of changes to the playing staff during his short time in charge, including the arrivals of Raul Meireles, Oriol Romeu, Gary Cahill, Juan Mata, while reducing the roles of the likes of stalwarts Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba.

Yet, whilst Villas-Boas has the future in mind, he understands that he has a duty to supporters to be successful in the here-and-now.

"There is great belief in what we're going to do next year, but we have responsibilities this year and speculation is normal.

"I'm really confident about next year. We have a three-year project to change the culture and structure. There is a lot we plan to do.

"We're still confident we can do well in the Champions League and FA Cup."

If the Blues are to claim their first Champions League title this season, then they must see off Walter Mazzarri's dangerous Napoli side. However, the Portuguese man does not believe the result in Italy on Tuesday evening will be pivotal with the return leg still to come.

"Whatever happens tomorrow will not be decisive for the tie. We have an opportunity at the Bridge as well" added Villas-Boas.

Nonetheless, he is more than aware of the threat that playing at San Paolo - where Manchester City succumbed to a 2-1 defeat earlier this season - holds for his side.

"Napoli's strengths at the San Paolo are amazing. They have built up a lot under Mazzarri. The way Napoli represent their crowd, there is a mood between the fans, the team and the city.

"Mazzarri has done an excellent job."

John Terry was also revealed to be "a major doubt" for the game due to the knee injury which has seen him miss his side’s last four matches. However, his England team-mate Ashley Cole has a better chance of returning to the Blues starting line-up.

"JT will be a major doubt" continued Villas-Boas, “[but] Ashley is in with more chance to be available. We will reassess after training."

'It's important to see the impact of training on JT's knee, and then we will decide."

Related

From the web