SPL Round 28 Results: Motherwell shock Celtic to move into second

Gary Glen strike helps Ross County continue good form with Pittodrie win, Hibernian and Kilmarnock share four goals, while Inverness CT and Dundee United fail to find the net

Round 28 Results

A late strike by substitute Gary Glen helped Ross County claim all three points at Aberdeen and extend their unbeaten streak to nine games.

The Pittodrie defeat sees the Dons' hopes of finishing the top six start to fade away and sees the pressure of under-fire boss Craig Brown crank up after a disappointing crowd of 6,394 saw the encounter.

The best chance of the first half came to the Staggies, as winger Ivan Sproule cut in from the left wing and unleashed a low drive that home keeper Jamie Langfield was forced to beat away.

Ross County felt they should have had a penalty in the second half when a Scott Boyd strike appeared to strike the arm of Peter Pawlett, but the referee waved play on.

But the visitors did eventually take the lead after a chip into the box from Rocco Quinn found substitute Steffen Wohlfarth, who then set-up Glen for the simplest of chances to roll the ball under Langfield.

Aberdeen did have one last chance to get back on level terms as Pawlett raced down the right before playing the ball to Gavin Rae inside the box, but his effort was well saved by Mark Brown and the home side were met with a chorus of boos at the full-time whistle.
A late strike from Mark Stewart handed Dundee a point at home to St Johnstone in John Brown’s first game in charge.

It was the Perth side who took the lead with 10 minutes left in the first half as Patrick Cregg played the ball to Steven MacLean at the back post and the striker headed home past Rab Douglas from close range.

But before the break the home side were level, as on-loan Celtic defender Lewis Toshney found John Baird with a ball into the box and the Dundee hitman managed to divert his header beyond Alan Mannus and into the net.

It looked like Dundee would suffer yet another defeat as Declan Gallacher hauled down MacLean just outside the box, which saw the young defender sent off and to make matters worse for the home side former Dens Park defender Dave Mackay stepped up and fired home the resulting free kick.

But with time running out Dundee claimed a point as Jim McAlister found Stewart inside the box and he smashed home the equaliser to snatch a point.
Three goals in the last five minutes saw Hibernian and Kilmarnock play out a four–goal thriller at Easter Road.

The home side came from behind twice, with Ryan McGivern and Leigh Griffiths getting goals before the two sides meet in the Scottish Cup on Sunday.

After having a first half free kick which smashed off the post, Sammy Clingan went one better in the second period, hitting a 35-yard strike into the top corner within a minute of the restart.

Then came the mad five-minute period towards the end which saw three goals as firstly, McGivern got his head to a David Wotherspoon corner to bring the home side back on level terms.

A minute later Kilmarnock restored the lead as Jude Winchester also found the top corner of Ben Williams' net with a strike from just outside the box.

But the goals continued to fly in and, two minutes later, Hibernian claimed a point as Griffiths managed to sneak in, to get the ball inside the six yard box and smash the ball past Cammy Bell.
Dundee United continued their good form under new manager Jackie McNamara by claiming a point away to Inverness CT.

Jon Daly had the first chance for the visitors with a header inside the box, but the Terrors skipper put his effort wide of goal.

The home side’s only chance of the first half came from Billy McKay, but the Inverness frontman couldn’t find a way past Radoslaw Cierzniak.

It wasn’t all good news for McNamara, though, as star striker Johnny Russell was forced to limp off injury with eight minutes left in the half after failing to shake off a knock picked up in a challenge from Josh Meekings.

Dundee United thought they had claimed the victory when a John Rankin strike cannoned off of Daly, but Ryan Esson was adjudged by the assistant referee to have prevented the ball from crossing the line and saved a point for the home side.
Graham Carey produced a goal of the season contender to hand St Mirren victory in the League Cup final dress rehearsal over Hearts.

The defeat sees the Tynecastle side fall into second bottom, 15 points ahead of Dundee and sees the pressure on under-fire boss John McGlynn intensify.

McGlynn saw his side go a goal down within the first five minutes as Darren Barr was adjudged to have hauled down Lee Mair inside the box and that allowed Paul McGowan the chance to step forward and slam home the resulting penalty.

Hearts had a chance to get back level, but Jamie Walker’s strike from just outside the box was punched away from danger by St Mirren keeper Craig Samson.

And just before the break the Buddies doubled their lead when Carey saw Jamie MacDonald off his line and hit a near 40-yard strike that whizzed past the Hearts goalkeeper and into the back of the net.

The visitors were angry in the second half as Mair looked to have brought down Hearts substitute John Sutton inside the box, but the referee waved away the claims from the striker.