Berwick 1-3 Rangers: McCoist’s side continue to steamroll towards the title

The Ibrox side maintain their healthy lead at the top of the Third Division after coming from behind to claim victory over the Northumberland outfit at Shielfield Park
Goals from Northern Ireland pair Dean Shiels and Andrew Little and a strike from Sebastien Faure helped Rangers continued their impressive run of 18 games without defeat in the league with victory over Berwick Rangers at Shielfield Park.

The Borderers had taken a surprise early lead as a result of an Anestis Argyriou own goal, but despite having a lot of pressure the part-time side were eventually seen off by the Glasgow giants, who continue their march to the title.

Berwick boss Ian Little made three changes from the side that lost to Queen’s Park last Saturday, with both Steven Notman and Kevin McDonald having received red cards during the Hampden clash, while Fraser McLaren dropped to the bench, with Devon Jacobs, Dean Hoskins and Scott Dalziel replacing the trio.

His opposite number Ally McCoist only had to make the one change from the side that demolished Clyde last Saturday, with Brazilian defender Emilson Cribari missing out due to illness, replacing him at the heart of the defence was Ross Perry.

The home side opened the scoring early on as a result of sloppy defending at the back by Rangers, as a corner from the left by Dylan Easton attempted to find Darren Lavery but Argyriou got in the way and managed to divert the cross past his own keeper and into the back of the net.

Rangers did get back on level terms within a minute as Shiels raced into the Berwick penalty area and went down under a slight challenge from Dougie Brydon, which saw referee Calum Murray point to the spot and the Northern Irish international, step up and put the penalty away himself.

Berwick then had a penalty claim of their own as Easton went down on the left-hand side of the box after Argyriou went through the back of the winger, but this time referee Murray waved away the protests for a spot kick.

Then, as the game entered injury time, the Ibrox side claimed the lead as Shiels cut the ball back for Lee Wallace on the left wing and he whipped in a superb cross for Little, to spin and volley the ball beyond Marc McCallum, into the back of the net.

Rangers looked to add to their advantage early on in the second half, as half-time substitute Kal Naismith got onto the end of a Wallace cross, but the Berwick defence managed to stay strong to clear.

The points were secured for the visitors as a David Templeton corner from the left was not cleared properly by the Berwick defence, allowing Naismith to have an opportunity and once that was blocked the ball fell to substitute Faure, who smashed home his first ever senior goal.

Berwick continued to look for a way back into the game, but the league leaders managed to remain resolute for the closing minutes, as the snow started to fall in the North-East of England, but that did not deter the Ibrox side from claiming all three points.