Montrose 2-4 Rangers: Visitors survive scare to remain top

Ally McCoist’s side made it seven league wins in a row with goals from Lee McCulloch, Kevin Kyle, Dean Shiels and Robbie Crawford helping the Ibrox side stretch their lead
Rangers claimed their seventh league win in a row with a 4-2 win away at Montrose.

A penalty from Lee McCulloch and goals from Kevin Kyle, Dean Shiels and Robbie Crawford helped McCoist's side come from behind to win.

Stuart Garden’s side had taken an early lead through Lloyd Young and had the Ibrox side panicking after David Gray’s strike, but the league leaders managed to claim the three points.

The hosts started with the same side that thumped Berwick Rangers two weeks ago, while the visitors only made one change from the side that beat Stirling Albion, with Andy Little taking the place of Barrie McKay.

Montrose almost took a shock lead within the first minute, as Garry Wood tried his luck with a speculative attempt from the right wing that had Neil Alexander scrambling.

On the quarter of an hour mark Rangers found themselves behind, as a long throw from full-back Stephen McInally found Young completely unmarked inside the box and he passed the ball past the outstretched arms of Alexander and into the net.

The Ibrox side seemed to wake up after the opening goal; firstly Little tried his luck with a strike which Sandy Wood managed to save, then McLeod had a long range free kick which the keeper also turned round the post.

Rangers managed to get level from the penalty spot, as David Templeton was hauled to the ground by McInally in the area and that allowed McCulloch the opportunity to strike home his 20th goal of the season for the league leaders.

Within five minutes of the second half, the home side could have regained the lead as McInally managed to get his head onto a Terry Masson corner from the right wing, but unfortunately for The Gable Endles full-back, he could not find the target.

McCoist’s side took the lead with just over 20 minutes remaining in the game as Shiels attempted to power through the Montrose defence but as the former Kilmarnock frontman crashed to the ground, the ball found its way to Kyle, who slammed the ball home.

The three points were secured a couple of minutes later as substitute McKay raced into the middle from the left-hand side and found the unmarked Shiels, who from the edge of the area made no mistake, striking the ball past the helpless Sandy Wood in the home goal.

Montrose managed to get one back as Leighton McIntosh played the ball to substitute Gray on the edge of the area and his stunning strike went over Alexander and dipped into the Rangers net.

The home side should have equalised as McCulloch failed to deal with a long ball, allowing Garry Wood to get in behind Chris Hegarty, but unfortunately for the striker, his effort cannoned off the bar.

The victory was sealed in injury time as substitute Crawford rounded out the scoring with a simple tap home after a scramble inside the box.