Dundee 0-3 Dundee United: Visitors continue their derby domination

The Terrors remain kings of the city as goals from Keith Watson, Jon Daly and a Kyle Benedictus own goal sees Peter Houston’s men claim their second derby win of the season
Goals from Keith Watson, Jon Daly and a Kyle Benedictus own goal saw Dundee United claim their second derby victory of the season over their city rivals Dundee.

The derby defeat sees the Dark Blues remain at the foot of the SPL, six points behind St Mirren in 11th place.

The home side made only one change from the side that knocked Livingston out of the Scottish Cup with Ryan Conroy making way for Nicky Reilly, while Peter Houston named the same starting line-up that trounced Stranraer in the same competition.

After suffering a three-goal defeat in the first derby of the season, Dundee looked to come out of the traps early and had numerous chances to take the lead, but failed to convert efforts from John Baird, Jim McAlister and Nicky Reilly.

Against the run of play the visitors took the lead as Dundee failed to properly defend a corner from the left by Barry Douglas and that allowed Watson to dive in at the near post and head the ball beyond Douglas, whose vision was impaired by the sun.

The Dark Blues should have got back on level terms after a cross from the right wing was headed back into the danger area by McAlister and with the goal at his mercy, Baird somehow managed to divert his effort over the bar.

Dundee United then started to gain control over the first half and could have doubled their lead as the ball fell to Watson 20 yards out, but this time Douglas managed to get behind the ball and divert the effort wide.

The home side had another defensive lapse, as they allowed Douglas the freedom of the left wing and the full back swung in a cross for Johnny Russell, but the Dundee United forward couldn't find the target as his effort sailed wide.

The home support inside Dens Park were up in arms at the start of second half as the ball struck Gavin Gunning’s right arm inside the penalty box after a cross from Baird, but referee Willie Collum denied the claims from the Dundee players.

Dundee were nearly makers of their own downfall minutes later, as a horrible clearance from Gallagher landed at the feet of Russell on the edge of the area, but his powerful volley cannoned off of the post and away from danger.

The SPL’s basement side continued to press for an equaliser and were nearly rewarded as Matt Lockwood unleashed a powerful free kick which Cierzniak done well to make sure the ball didn’t dip under his bar.

All three points looked to be heading down to Tannadice as referee Collum awarded the visitors a controversial penalty for a challenge by Gary Irvine on Stuart Armstrong inside the box and that allowed Daly to slam home the second goal of the game.

The misery for the home fans was further compounded late on, as a weak strike towards goal by Wiillo Flood was deflected past his own keeper by Benedictus to finish off another miserable derby for the home side.