thumbnail Hello,

Super League

  • January 25, 2014
  • • 20:45
  • • Stadium Sarawak, Kuching

Sarawak 0-1 Kelantan: Forkey Doe punishes Crocs lapse

Sarawak 0-1 Kelantan: Forkey Doe punishes Crocs lapse

FoxSports Asia

Kelantan leave it late to nick a win from a tricky away match at Kuching

After a less than stellar start to the new season, pressure was on Robert Alberts' Sarawak to perform in their first home league match of the new season, against Kelantan. They had earlier lost meekly in their league opener against ATM, and made to labour against Pulau Pinang for their FA Cup tie win.

They started out brightly against the Red Warriors with Ashri Chuchu leading most of their attacks from the left. However, despite making plenty of forays into the visitors' final third, the midfield was not able to connect with the forward.

Kelantan were also also threatening at times through the combination of their foreign strikers; Muhammad Ghaddar and Forkey Doe, but the two could not make their chances count. 

Despite the high tempo of the first half, with players on both teams getting booked for late tackles, the first half finished goalless, with Sarawak dominating play.

Eight minutes into the second half, Doe looked to have eluded the Sarawak defence, before slotting the ball in past Sarawak goalkeeper Sani Anuar Kamsani, but the flag was already up.

The second half was a more tenous affair for both teams, with fewer chances created as compared to the first half.

In the 64th minute Lot Abu Hassan sent in a cross from into the right that was met well by Sarawak's new Iranian striker Alireza Abbasfard, but his header rose over the bar and Kelantan were saved.

But just as the match looked to be ending a scoreless draw, Kelantan skipper Badhri Razi freed Ghaddar down the left. Although he was marked by a defender, he was still able to squeeze a low cross into the box, which was not expected by Sani. Forkey Doe was left with the easiest of tap ins from right in front of the goalmouth, for the first and only goal of the match, and the final whistle was blown by the referee a minute later.

Follow Zulhilmi Zainal on