thumbnail Hello,

AFF Championship

  • December 1, 2012
  • • 20:45
  • • Stadium Nasional Bukit Jalil, Kuala Lumpur
  • Referee: V. Kovalenko

Nike Match Report: Malaysia 2–0 Indonesia

The Malayan Tigers are through to the Semi-Finals of the Suzuki Cup following a fine 2-0 victory over now eliminated Indonesia after goals from Azamuddin Akil and Mahalli Jasuli

Indonesia started much the better team and could have been out of sight in the first ten minutes following some positive play, combined with nervy Malaysian defence.  In only the third minute the visitors had their first effort with a low shot from just outside the area from Vendry Mofu, however Farizal gathered it up well.  Less than a minute later Samsul Arif struck an arrowing right footed effort from the edge of the box, but it was always rising and it went over the Malaysia bar.  In the seventh minute there was panic in the Tigers defence following more uncertain play by Aidil Zafuan, Taufiq capitalised and sent a shot in low which Farizal could only palm clear, Irfan Bachdim tries to get the rebound but was offside.

However in the 27th minute the home crowd erupted as Malaysia took a shock lead.  Azamuddin Akil arrived at the back post and rifled a right footed volley following a beautiful deep cross by Mahalli.  The stadium went further into rapture only two minutes later as the home team doubled their lead following a great counter attacking move.  Safee played Wan Zack into space on the right hand side, he seemed to have lost the opportunity but played the ball into the overlapping Mahalli who sent a beautiful effort high into the net past a helpless Wahyu Tri.

In the second half the visiting team continued to be afforded chances as Malaysia repeatedly gave away free-kicks in dangerous positions, however their delivery was woeful with shots being blazed over the bar and crosses routinely going behind for goal-kicks, with Taufiq being the biggest culprit.  It was the home team who looked more likely to add to their lead, in the 55th minute Safee almost managed a miracle goal from an impossible angle following a long pass to the far post from Mahalli, but the ball dribbled across the goal with Wahyu Tri in no man’s land.  Four minutes later Wan Zack almost caught Wahyu Tri out at his near post with a long range cross-cum-shot, but the ball went narrowly wide.

The expected push for an equaliser, or indeed a consolation goal, failed to materialise as Indonesia surprisingly failed to create any clear cut chances with their Suzuki Cup hopes slipping away before them.  Substitute Andik Vermansah tried his hardest on the right-hand side to get his team back into the match but it was to no avail as Malaysia held on for a famous victory to set up a semi-final clash with Thailand.