Singapore will be going for another three points tonight after the emphatic win over hosts Malaysia, to seal their place in the last four
Maitimo - Fachrudin - Wahyu - Novan
Andik - Vendry - Taufiq - Okto - Irfan
Bennett - Safuwan - Baihakki - Irwan
Jiayi - Hariss - Shahril - Shahdan
Island nation Singapore knows a second victory of the tournament against Indonesia in Bukit Jalil today, will see them booking their place in the semi-finals, regardless of the Laos-Malaysia match outcome.
The Lions, who will be without left-back Shaiful Esah, however realise three points is not a given against the 2010’s beaten finalists.
Captain Shahril Ishak admitted, “It’s not going to be an easy game for us. Indonesians are very fast and physically strong. They have a few good quality players that we have to watch out for.”
Chief coach Raddy Avramovic agreed with Shahril’s assessment and warned his players to be on their guard to avoid disappointment. “If we allow Indonesia to do what they can do, we will be in trouble,” he said.
Opponents Indonesia look set to be weakened by the absence of Handi Ramdhan and Tonnie Cussell through injuries, as well as the suspended Endra Prasetya.
With this in mind, coach Nil Maizar said at the pre-match press conference, “We can only do our best. The rest will be left to God. Everyone wants to win but at the end of the day, who has the greater will, will succeed.”
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- On Sunday, Endra Prasetya became the first goalkeeper in the history of the tournament to get sent off.
- With Endra's suspension, Indonesia could pick Bambang Pamungkas, Fachrudin Aryanto or Cornelius Geddy to play in goal if anything happens to Wahyu Tri Nugroho.
- Singapore have never lost to today's opponents in this tournament (5 wins and 1 draw).
- Coach Raddy's first AFF Cup final was against Indonesia - winning 5-2 on aggregate.
- Shahril Ishak (Persib Bandung and Medan Chiefs) Baihakki Khaizan (Persija Jakarta and Persib Bandung) and Mustafic Fahrudin (Persija Jakarta and Persela Lamongan) used to play in Indonesia.
Follow Prem Kumar on