Swansea - Middlesbrough Preview: Boro eye another giant killing and Capital One Cup semi-final spot
Tony Mowbray's side look to reach last four for the first time since 2004, when they won the competition, and face a 13th consecutive away tie in order to do so
By Simon Sinclair
Rangel, Chico, Monk, Davies
Dyer, Ki, De Guzman, Routledge
Parnaby, Woodgate, Bikey, Friend
Ledesma, Leadbitter, Bailey, Haroun
Swansea boss Michael Laudrup will be without long-term absentees Neil Taylor (ankle) and Michel Vorm (groin) as well as centre-back Ashley Williams who’s suspended after picking up his fifth booking of the season in his side’s defeat to Norwich on Saturday.
Midfielders Leon Britton (knee) and Pablo Hernandez (hip) could also be missing for the Swans.
Kemy Agustien and the returning Kyle Bartley are available to throw into the mix along with Luke Moore should Laudrup make changes to his team.
Middlesbrough will be without on-loan midfielder Josh McEachran for the clash against the Swans, so Nicky Bailey and Richard Smallwood will battle it out to join Grant Leadbitter in the middle.
Jonathan Woodgate also may not be risked to play two games in four days by boss Tony Mowbray, so Seb Hines could start in the centre of defence.
Faris Haroun made a goalscoring return to the team against Peterborough and may keep his place while the physical play of Ishmael Miller may be preferred to Marvin Emnes in attack.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Swansea have scored three goals in all three of their Capital One Cup games so far this season in matches against Barnsley, Crawley and Liverpool.
- Swans forward Michu (pictured right) has scored six goals in his last three games.
Michu is 4/1 with Bet365 to score first in this game
- Middlesbrough’s visit to the Liberty Stadium is their 12th consecutive away tie in the Capital One Cup.
- Emmanuel Ledesma is Tony Mowbray’s side’s leading scorer in the competition this year scoring twice in four games.
- Boro have drawn just one game in their last 13 in all competitions. They’ve won nine of the matches, losing just three. All the defeats came in the month of November.
- This is the first time Swansea and Middlesbrough will face off in the Capital One Cup.
- The two teams have met on 41 occasions with Boro just edging the Swans with 18 victories to their 14 with the other nine meetings ending as draws.
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Swansea City 2-0 Middlesbrough
- 17.54 %
Swansea City 3-1 Middlesbrough
- 16.11 %
Swansea City 2-1 Middlesbrough
- 9.01 %
|England - Capital One Cup (League Cup) (CCUP)||Dec 13, 2012||Swansea City 1 - Middlesbrough 0|
|Mar 3, 2014||Swansea City 1 - Crystal Palace 1||EPL|
|Feb 28, 2014||Napoli 3 - Swansea City 1||EL|
|Feb 23, 2014||Liverpool 4 - Swansea City 3||EPL|
|Feb 21, 2014||Swansea City 0 - Napoli 0||EL|
|Feb 16, 2014||Everton 3 - Swansea City 1||FA|
|20||Jonathan De Guzmán||Midfielder|
|17||Emmanuel Jorge Ledesma||Midfielder|
|-||Scott Douglas McDonald||Striker|
Times In MYT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed