Chelsea - Manchester United Preview: Di Matteo out to avenge league defeat with cup victory
The Stamford Bridge manager will be keen for revenge against Sir Alex Ferguson's side after the Old Trafford club controversially took the points in the recent Premier League game
By Tom J Doyle
Azpilicueta, Cahill, Luiz, Bertrand
Moses, Mata, Marin,
Vermijl, M Keane, Wooton, Buttner
Nani, Powell, Fletcher, Scholes, Anderson
Branislav Ivanovic and Fernando Torres will miss out for Chelsea after being sent off against Manchester United in the 3-2 Premier League defeat on Sunday.
Club captain John Terry is still banned after receiving a four-match suspension for racially abusing Anton Ferdinand.
Frank Lampard (calf) has no set return date, and will probably miss out on a chance to claim a starting position under Roberto Di Matteo.
Manchester United are still without captain Nemanja Vidic (knee) and Phil Jones (knee), while Chris Smalling (metatarsal) is likely to be in contention for a place against Arsenal on Saturday.
Sir Alex Ferguson may stick with the back line which featured against Newcastle in the last round of the Capital One Cup, with Scott Wooton, Michael Keane, Alexander Buttner and Marnick Vermijl set to feature.
Shinji Kagawa is definitely out for the visitors after picking up a knee injury against Braga.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Chelsea won the last Capital One Cup clash between the two sides in 2005, coming out 2-1 winners over two legs.
- Manchester United have won three of the past four meetings between the sides, with no goalless draw in the league since 2007.
- Despite being top of the Premier League, Chelsea have now lost their last two games to Shakhtar Donetsk and Manchester United.
- United have been in front at half-time in only five of their 13 games this season, but have won all five matches.
- Chicharito (pictured) has scored in five of his eight games against Chelsea for the Red Devils, including his winner on Sunday.
- Sir Alex Ferguson's side have won their last five games in all competitions, three of them away from home.
- Neither side has kept a clean sheet in their last three games - Chelsea have conceded seven, and United six.
- Robin van Persie has scored six times at Stamford Bridge, a record for a visiting player.
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Chelsea FC 1-2 Manchester United
- 13.07 %
Chelsea FC 2-3 Manchester United
- 12.84 %
Chelsea FC 2-1 Manchester United
- 11.99 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 20, 2014||Chelsea FC 3 - Manchester United 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Aug 27, 2013||Manchester United 0 - Chelsea FC 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||May 5, 2013||Manchester United 0 - Chelsea FC 1|
|England - FA Cup (FA)||Apr 1, 2013||Chelsea FC 1 - Manchester United 0|
|England - FA Cup (FA)||Mar 11, 2013||Manchester United 2 - Chelsea FC 2|
|Apr 20, 2014||Chelsea FC 1 - Sunderland 2||EPL|
|Apr 13, 2014||Swansea City 0 - Chelsea FC 1||EPL|
|Apr 9, 2014||Chelsea FC 2 - Paris Saint-Germain 0||UCL|
|Apr 6, 2014||Chelsea FC 3 - Stoke City 0||EPL|
|Apr 3, 2014||Paris Saint-Germain 3 - Chelsea FC 1||UCL|
|12||John Obi Mikel||Midfielder|
Times In MYT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed