Liverpool - Young Boys Preview: Hosts unbeaten in 41 years against Swiss opposition
With the group delicately poised going into the penultimate round of fixtures, both sides still stand a chance of qualifying with the game at Anfield potentially proving decisive
By James McManus
Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson
Assaidi, Suarez, Downing
Sutter, Nef, Ojala, Spycher
Nuzzola, Costanzo, Schneuwly, Raimondi, Farnerud
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers will be without Martin Kelly (knee), Fabio Borini (foot) and Lucas Leiva (thigh) for the game against Young Boys, but Jonjo Shelvey (thigh) could return.
Given that the game is pivotal to the club's hopes of qualification, the side may be rotated to an extent but the core of the starting XI that turned out against Wigan is likely to remain.
Young Boys boss Martin Rueda has a few injury concerns ahead of the clash with Josh Simpson (broken leg), Joseph Martinez (thigh) and Ivan Benito (muscle tear in thigh) all out for the foreseeable future.
Experienced left-back Christoph Spycher will undergo a late fitness test after recently suffering with an inflamed knee and centre-back Jan Lecjaks could recover in time from a foot injury.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Liverpool striker Luis Suarez has scored in each of his last five games.
- Brendan Rodgers' side ran out comfortable 5-2 winners in the reverse fixture in Switzerland earlier in the season.
- Midfielder Jonjo Shelvey (pictured, right) came off the bench in their first meeting and scored twice.
- Liverpool have not lost to a Swiss side since 1971, with that defeat coming against FC Servette in the Cup Winners’ Cup.
- Young Boys caused an upset by beating Udinese 3-1 at home in their last European encounter.
- Martin Rueda's team are currently fifth in the Swiss domestic league after 14 games. They finished third last term.
- Two Young Boys players - Josh Simpson and Scott Sutter - have experience of playing in English football, and both spent time playing for Millwall, with Simpson playing for the club’s first team from 2004 until 2006.
- Both sides still stand a chance of progressing to the next round with six points from four games each.
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Liverpool 3-0 Young Boys
- 23.24 %
Liverpool 2-0 Young Boys
- 14.44 %
Liverpool 3-1 Young Boys
- 11.9 %
|UEFA Europa League (EL)||Nov 23, 2012||Liverpool 2 - Young Boys 2|
|UEFA Europa League (EL)||Sep 21, 2012||Young Boys 3 - Liverpool 5|
|Apr 20, 2014||Norwich City 2 - Liverpool 3||EPL|
|Apr 13, 2014||Liverpool 3 - Manchester City 2||EPL|
|Apr 6, 2014||West Ham United 1 - Liverpool 2||EPL|
|Mar 30, 2014||Liverpool 4 - Tottenham 0||EPL|
|Mar 27, 2014||Liverpool 2 - Sunderland 1||EPL|
|-||Yvon Landry Mvogo||Goalkeeper|
|-||Kouadio Pascal Doubai||Midfielder|