Arsenal - Olympiakos Preview: Gunners looking to bounce back from Chelsea defeat
Arsene Wenger's side, eighth in the Premier League after six games, will need to show resolve against a tough Greek side following a home loss to their London rivals
By Joe Doyle
Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Gibbs
Oxlade-Chamberlain, Arteta, Cazorla
Walcott, Gervinho, Podolski
Torosidis, Papazoglou, Modesto, Holebas
Machado, Fuster, Ibagaza, Abdoun
Arsenal only have one new injury worry after their game against Chelsea at the Emirates Stadium, with Abou Diaby (thigh) being withdrawn in the first half, and he will be joined on the sidelines by Tomas Rosicky (Achilles) and Bacary Sagna (foot).
Jack Wilshere made his long-awaited return to football on Monday in the Under-21 game against West Brom, but won't feature in the game. Emmanuel Frimpong also made an appearance against the Baggies following his cameo role in the League Cup, but is still short on fitness.
Olympiakos are set to name Roy Carroll in goal, as the keeper makes a return to the shores of England following spells with Manchester United and West Ham.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Arsenal's loss to Chelsea on Saturday was their first of the season, after four wins and three draws in all competitions.
- Gervinho [pictured, right] is the Gunners' top scorer so far this season, with three strikes in the Premier League and another in the Champions League.
- The Gunners have won two games this season by the scoreline of 6-1.
- Arsenal have scored 13 goals at home and conceded four in all competitions this season.
- Olympiakos come into the game on a domestic run, having won all four of their matches in the league so far, but lost their first Champions League game against Schalke..
- The clubs have faced each other in the Champions League group stages twice before, with Arsenal winning both of their home games, and Olympiakos winning theirs.
- The Greek side's best year in the Champions League came in 1998-99 when they were knocked out at the quarter-final stage by Juventus.
- Olympiakos have scored 14 goals in all competitions this season, conceding five.
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Arsenal FC 2-0 Olympiakos Piraeus
- 22.52 %
Arsenal FC 3-0 Olympiakos Piraeus
- 19.33 %
Arsenal FC 3-1 Olympiakos Piraeus
- 14.12 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Dec 5, 2012||Olympiakos Piraeus 2 - Arsenal FC 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Oct 4, 2012||Arsenal FC 3 - Olympiakos Piraeus 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Dec 7, 2011||Olympiakos Piraeus 3 - Arsenal FC 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Sep 29, 2011||Arsenal FC 2 - Olympiakos Piraeus 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Dec 10, 2009||Olympiakos Piraeus 1 - Arsenal FC 0|
|May 19, 2013||Newcastle United 0 - Arsenal FC 1||EPL|
|May 15, 2013||Arsenal FC 4 - Wigan Athletic 1||EPL|
|May 5, 2013||QPR 0 - Arsenal FC 1||EPL|
|Apr 28, 2013||Arsenal FC 1 - Manchester United 1||EPL|
|Apr 20, 2013||Fulham 0 - Arsenal FC 1||EPL|
|7||Ariel Miguel Ibagaza||Midfielder|