Carlisle - Tottenham Preview: Cumbrian minnows aim to emulate previous League Cup successes
Andre Villas-Boas is expected to give some of his senior players a rest following a crowded fixture schedule as the two clubs meet for the first time in 15 years
By Alex Kohnert
Simek, Livesey, Murphy, Chantler
Robson, McGovern, Thirwell, Berrett
Walker, Caulker, Dawson, Naughton
Dembele, Huddlestone, Sigurdsson, Townsend
Young goalkeeper Mark Gillespie is expected to retain his place in the Carlisle United starting XI after displacing the experienced Adam Collin, while Danny Livesey and Matt Robson could return from injury for the Cumbrian side.
Forward Lee Miller (ankle) is unavailable following surgery in early September.
The Cumbrians have started the season in solid form - currently sitting comfortably mid-table in League One - and have not lost in their last five matches.
Andre Villas-Boas has a selection headache at left-back, with Beniot Assou-Ekotto (knee) not expected back for another three weeks and deputy Kyle Naughton (ankle) a slight doubt.
In addition, recently signed striker Emmanuel Adebayor (hamstring) is still struggling with match fitness and remains on the sidelines with long-term absentee Younes Kaboul (knee).
France captain Hugo Lloris is expected to make his second appearance for Spurs following his debut against Lazio in the Europa League.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Carlisle have only been victorious in this fixture once in seven attempts - their sole victory coming from a First Division match at home during the 1974-75 season.
- The Cumbrian club do however have recent form in cup competitions - winning the Football League Trophy in 2011-10 after losing in the final in 2009-10.
- Carlisle manager Greg Abbott held the caretaker position at the club twice before finally being appointed permanent boss in December 2008.
- The last match between these two sides was a League Cup tie on September 30, 1997, which ended in a 2-0 victory for Tottenham.
- Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas has only won two of his six competitive matches in charge of the north Londoners since taking the job.
- Jermaine Defoe has played in every competitive fixture under Villas-Boas, scoring four goals in six appearances. Defoe is 16/1 with Bet365 to score a hat-trick in this game.
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Carlisle United 0-8 Tottenham
- 18.02 %
Carlisle United 0-3 Tottenham
- 17.15 %
Carlisle United 0-2 Tottenham
- 10.76 %
|England - Capital One Cup (League Cup) (CCUP)||Sep 27, 2012||Carlisle United 0 - Tottenham 3|
|Dec 14, 2013||Carlisle United 4 - Tranmere Rovers 1||EFL1|
|Dec 7, 2013||Carlisle United 3 - Brentford 2||FA|
|Nov 30, 2013||Swindon 3 - Carlisle United 1||EFL1|
|Nov 27, 2013||Carlisle United 2 - Crewe Alexandra 1||EFL1|
|Nov 23, 2013||Rotherham United 0 - Carlisle United 0||EFL1|