Borussia Dortmund - Fortuna Dusseldorf Preview: Klopp's side hope to take advantage of home comforts
The reigning Bundesliga champions beat Mainz 2-1 on Saturday and will be confident of continuing their rich vein of form against Norbert Meier's struggling side
By Alec Fenn
Piszczek, Hummels, Subotic, Schmelzer
Blaszczykowski, Gotze, Reus
Levels, Langeneke, Juanan, Van den Bergh
Garbuschewski, Bodzek, Lambertz, Bellinghausen, Kruse, Rafael
This might well be Borussia Dortmund's third game inside six days but Jurgen Klopp's side are showing no signs of slowing just yet.
If anything, an intense programme of fixtures appears to have brought the best out of BVB and they head into Tuesday's encounter on a run of four consecutive victories.
Quite how much Saturday's hard-fought victory over Mainz has taken out of the reigning Bundesliga champions remains to be seen, but the visit of lowly Fortuna Dusseldorf will give the home side confidence of extending their rich vein of form.
Norbert Meier's side beat Hamburg 2-0 at the weekend, but prior to that much needed win the division's newcomers had lost two of their previous three games.
The club's patchy home form has been their Achillees heel so far this season, with Saturday's success their first win of the campaign at the ESPRIT Arena and they will hope a marginally improved away record sees them spring a surprise on Dortmund.
Dusseldorf will have to do without Dani Schahin, Stelios Malezas, Oliver Fink and Bruno Soares through injury, while Dortmund are missing Sebastian Kehl and Patrick Owomoyela.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Borussia Dortmund's Signal Iduna Park holds 80,645 supporters.
- The reigning Bundesliga champions have won the league title eight times in their history.
- Robert Lewandowski (right) has now scored 12 goals in 20 appearances in all competitions following his double in the 2-1 win over Mainz on Saturday.
- BVB have won four, drawn one and lost one of their six home games this season.
- Dusseldorf sit in 14th position in the league table ahead of the encounter.
- Norbert Meier's side were promoted to the Bundesliga last season after finishing third in Germany's second tier.
- A win for Tuesday's visitors could see them leap three places in the division to 11th position.
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Borussia Dortmund 3-0 Fortuna Düsseldorf
- 22.53 %
Borussia Dortmund 3-1 Fortuna Düsseldorf
- 13.12 %
Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Fortuna Düsseldorf
- 12.81 %
|Germany - 1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Apr 28, 2013||Fortuna Düsseldorf 1 - Borussia Dortmund 2|
|Germany - 1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Nov 28, 2012||Borussia Dortmund 1 - Fortuna Düsseldorf 1|
|Germany - DFB-Pokal (GERC)||Dec 21, 2011||Fortuna Düsseldorf 0 - Borussia Dortmund 0|
|Dec 4, 2013||1. FC Saarbruecken 0 - Borussia Dortmund 2||GERC|
|Nov 30, 2013||1. FSV Mainz 05 1 - Borussia Dortmund 3||BUN|
|Nov 27, 2013||Borussia Dortmund 3 - Napoli 1||UCL|
|Nov 24, 2013||Borussia Dortmund 0 - FC Bayern München 3||BUN|
|Nov 9, 2013||VfL Wolfsburg 2 - Borussia Dortmund 1||BUN|
|23||Johannes van den Bergh||Defender|
|-||Evans Owusu Nyarko||Midfielder|
Times In MYT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed