West Ham - Reading Preview: Hammers looking to finish the season in style
Sam Allardyce’s side have enjoyed a solid season back in the top-flight and will be hoping to take three points from their final match of the campaign against the relegated Royals
By Shane Farrington
Demel, Collins, Reid, O’Brien
J. Cole, Nolan, Jarvis
Gunter, Morrison, Mariappa, Kelly
Karacan, Guthrie, McAnuff
McCleary, Pogrebnyak, Robson-Kanu
West Ham boss Sam Allardyce has a strong squad to choose from for his side’s final match of the season and there are unlikely to be too many changes from the team which lost 2-0 against Everton, though James Tomkins (calf/shin) and George McCartney (knee) will miss the match.
Joe Cole came off the bench against the Toffees and could be poised to be given a place in the starting line-up. Andy Carroll is again set to lead the line his final match for the club before his loan spell from Liverpool ends.
As for the visitors, Reading boss Nigel Adkins could name an unchanged side from the starting XI which lost 2-0 to Manchester City on Tuesday. Adam Federici (ankle) is a doubt, so Alex McCarthy is expected to continue in goal, while Jimmy Kebe (groin) and Jason Roberts (hip) are both sidelined.
Striking duo Nick Blackman and Adam Le Fondre both came off the bench against City and are pushing for starting berths, although they are likely to have to once again settle for a place on the substitutes bench.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Despite currently sitting in tenth spot in the league, West Ham can still finish as low as 15th if they fail to beat the Royals and the teams below them all win.
- Kevin Nolan (pictured right), and Andy Carroll are the Hammers leading goalscorers so far this season with 7 goals each.
- Reading won the earlier meeting between the two sides in the Premier League, with Pavel Pogrebnyak scoring the only goal of the game - the Russian is 8/1 with bet365 to open the scoring on Sunday.
- The Royals have the second-worst defensive record in the league. They have conceded 69 goals so far, only fellow relegated side Wigan (71) have conceded more.
- Nigel Adkins side have only won one of their last 12 league matches - a 4-2 win away to Fulham. They have drawn two and loss the other nine games.
- Adam Le Fondre is Reading’s topscorer so far this season after netting 13 goals in all competitions. Those goals have come from 14 starts and 22 substitute appearances.
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
West Ham United 2-0 Reading
- 18.54 %
West Ham United 3-1 Reading
- 10.67 %
West Ham United 3-0 Reading
- 10.11 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||May 19, 2013||West Ham United 4 - Reading 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 29, 2012||Reading 1 - West Ham United 0|
|England - Championship (ENG2)||Dec 10, 2011||Reading 3 - West Ham United 0|
|West Ham United|
|Mar 1, 2014||Everton 1 - West Ham United 0||EPL|
|Feb 22, 2014||West Ham United 3 - Southampton 1||EPL|
|Feb 12, 2014||West Ham United 2 - Norwich City 0||EPL|
|Feb 8, 2014||Aston Villa 0 - West Ham United 2||EPL|
|Feb 1, 2014||West Ham United 2 - Swansea City 0||EPL|
|12||Ricardo Vaz Te||Striker|
|9||Adam Le Fondre||Striker|
Times In MYT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed