Fulham - Newcastle United Preview: Hangeland returns for Martin Jol's out of form hosts
The Cottagers have not won a Premier League match in their last seven attempts, but are boosted by the return of their skipper for Monday's clash against the Magpies
By Al Hain-Cole
Riether, Hughes, Hangeland, Riise
Duff, Sidwell, Diarra, Kacaniklic
Simpson, Coloccini, Perch, Santon
Gutierrez, Tiote, Anita, Ben Arfa
Fulham captain Brede Hangeland returns from a three-match suspension and should go straight back into the team in place of Philipe Senderos.
The Cottagers can also welcome back Alex Kacaniklic and Sascha Riether from injury, but Bryan Ruiz has been ruled out for a further month with a hamstring problem.
Hugo Rodallega will compete with Mladen Petric for a place alongside Dimitar Berbatov up front, while Kerim Frei and Ashkan Dejagah may drop to the bench following last weekend's 3-0 defeat at home to Tottenham.
Newcastle are boosted by the return of Davide Santon, Cheick Tiote and Hatem Ben Arfa, who are all in contention following injury.
Demba Ba faces a late fitness test after straining his hamstring in the win over Wigan, having sat out Thursday's Europa League tie in Bordeaux.
However, Ryan Taylor, Steven Taylor and Yohan Cabaye remain long-term absentees for Alan Pardew's side.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Fulham have only lost one of their last six Premier League games against Newcastle, winning the last three consecutive home matches against the Magpies.
- However, the hosts have not won in their last seven Premier League fixtures - their worst run in two years.
- Seven of the Cottagers' goals have come from the substitutes' bench, more than any other club except Manchester City.
- Fulham fans have seen more league goals at either end than those of any other club barring Manchester United, Tottenham and Southampton.
- Newcastle's 3-0 win over Wigan brought an end to their run of four consecutive Premier League defeats.
- Nevertheless, the Toon have not won on the road in their last 13 attempts in all competitions.
- Demba Ba (pictured, right) has already hit 10 league goals for the visitors this season, and is the first Newcastle striker to reach double figures in consecutive seasons since Alan Shearer.
- Alan Pardew's men are the only team not to have scored from a corner this season.
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Fulham 1-2 Newcastle United
- 17.16 %
Fulham 2-1 Newcastle United
- 14.74 %
Fulham 1-1 Newcastle United
- 7.92 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Aug 31, 2013||Newcastle United 1 - Fulham 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Apr 7, 2013||Newcastle United 1 - Fulham 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 11, 2012||Fulham 2 - Newcastle United 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 21, 2012||Fulham 5 - Newcastle United 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Aug 28, 2011||Newcastle United 2 - Fulham 1|
|Nov 30, 2013||West Ham United 3 - Fulham 0||EPL|
|Nov 23, 2013||Fulham 1 - Swansea City 2||EPL|
|Nov 9, 2013||Liverpool 4 - Fulham 0||EPL|
|Nov 2, 2013||Fulham 1 - Manchester United 3||EPL|
|Oct 30, 2013||Leicester City 4 - Fulham 3||CCUP|
|3||John Arne Riise||Defender|
|10||Hatem Ben Arfa||Midfielder|
Times In MYT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed