Newcastle United - Wigan Preview: Injury-hit Magpies look to bounce back against inconsistent Latics
The Toon head into Monday night's game depleted by injury and on a run of four straight defeats, while Roberto Martinez's men are chasing their first ever win at St James' Park
By Theo Squires
Simpson, Coloccini, Williamson, Santon
Gutierrez, Anita, Tiote, Ferguson
Stam, Ramis, Figueroa
Boyce, McCarthy, Gomez, Jones
Di Santo, Kone, Beausejour
Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has been given a selection headache in recent weeks, with many of his star players being ruled out through injury, further weakening sees Steven Taylor (hamstring) and Yohan Cabaye (groin) the latest names to be deemed unavailable until the New Year.
The duo join Hatem Ben Arfa (hamstring), Dan Gosling (knee), Gabriel Obertan (toe), Ryan Taylor and Haris Vuckic (both knee) on the sidelines, although Shola Ameobi could return.
Roberto Martinez could welcome back as many as six senior members of his squad from injury for the Latics' trip to St James' Park.
Antolin Alcaraz (groin), Gary Caldwell (hamstring), Albert Crusat (knee), Shaun Maloney (groin), James McArthur (thigh) and Ryo Miyachi (foot) could all return for Wigan, though Ben Watson (leg) remains a long-term absentee.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Wigan's 4-0 home victory over the Magpies last season is the biggest winning margin either side has ever recorded in this fixture. Two goals from Victor Moses as well as as further strikes from Shaun Maloney and Franco Di Santo (pictured) secured the win.
- There has never been a 0-0 between these two sides.
- The Latics have never won a game at St James' Park, losing four and drawing three of the meetings across all competitions.
- Roberto Martinez's men have conceded more penalties than any other Premier League side this season (four).
- Newcastle's current run of seven games without a victory is their worst ever winless run under manager Alan Pardew.
- Magpie's forward Demba Ba scored twice for West Ham against Wigan in his last ever game for the Hammers, before making the switch to the north-east.
- During his time at Wigan, current Newcastle defender Ryan Taylor scored in four consecutive games against his new side.
- The Toon are currently 19th in the form table, with only QPR performing worse than them over the last six games.
Newcastle 13/2 to beat Wigan 1-0 with bet365.
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Newcastle United 2-1 Wigan Athletic
- 19.16 %
Newcastle United 2-0 Wigan Athletic
- 15.85 %
Newcastle United 1-0 Wigan Athletic
- 9.23 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Mar 18, 2013||Wigan Athletic 2 - Newcastle United 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 4, 2012||Newcastle United 3 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Apr 28, 2012||Wigan Athletic 4 - Newcastle United 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Oct 22, 2011||Newcastle United 1 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 3, 2011||Wigan Athletic 0 - Newcastle United 1|
|Apr 12, 2014||Stoke City 1 - Newcastle United 0||EPL|
|Apr 5, 2014||Newcastle United 0 - Manchester United 4||EPL|
|Mar 29, 2014||Southampton 4 - Newcastle United 0||EPL|
|Mar 26, 2014||Newcastle United 0 - Everton 3||EPL|
|Mar 22, 2014||Newcastle United 1 - Crystal Palace 0||EPL|
|26||Ali Al Habsi||Goalkeeper|
|9||Franco Di Santo||Striker|
Times In MYT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed