Manchester City - Tottenham Preview: Teams head into Etihad clash after conflicting European experiences
The Premier League champions suffered a frustrating 2-2 draw with Ajax in the Champions League, while Spurs' Europa League campaign was boosted with a convincing win over Maribor
By Tom J Doyle
Zabaleta, Kompany, Nastasic, Clichy
Nasri, Barry, Toure, Silva
Walker, Caulker, Gallas, Vertonghen
Lennon, Dempsey, Bale
Manchester City are likely to be without Joleon Lescott (back), Jack Rodwell and James Milner (both hamstring), while Micah Richards (knee) has been ruled out until late December.
David Silva (hamstring) was expected to be fit to start against Tottenham, but a place on the substitutes' bench is much more likely, while Maicon (ankle) is likely to be fit and in contention for a starting role at right-back.
Emmanuel Adebayor and Jermain Defoe combined well in the 3-1 win over Maribor, with the latter bagging a hat-trick, but Andre Villas-Boas is expected to revert back to his tried-and-test 4-5-1 formation for the away trip.
Hugo Lloris was partly at blame for the Slovenian side's goal, so Brad Friedel will likely return between the posts.
Benoit Assou-Ekotto and Mousa Dembele (knee) still have no return date from injury with Scott Parker (Achilles) and Jake Livermore (knock) also expected to miss out.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Manchester City have won the last three league games between the sides, including a 5-1 reverse at White Hart Lane in August 2011.
- Samir Nasri has scored in three of his last four league appearances against Tottenham, and provided three assists in the one game he failed to register a goal.
- Edin Dzeko has just one less goal (five) than the rest of Manchester City's striking line-up put together.
- Only two of the last 18 league meetings between the sides have ended in a goalless draw.
- All of Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe's five Premier League goals this season have come from inside the box.
- Andre Villas-Boas' side is one win away from 300 in the Premier League.
- Spurs have won away against Manchester City nine times - only Chelsea and Arsenal (10) have a better record.
- The north London outfit have won seven of their last 11 league visits to City.
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Manchester City 1-2 Tottenham
- 17.4 %
Manchester City 2-1 Tottenham
- 12.79 %
Manchester City 2-0 Tottenham
- 8.88 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 30, 2014||Tottenham 1 - Manchester City 5|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Nov 24, 2013||Manchester City 6 - Tottenham 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Apr 21, 2013||Tottenham 3 - Manchester City 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Nov 11, 2012||Manchester City 2 - Tottenham 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 22, 2012||Manchester City 3 - Tottenham 2|
|Mar 2, 2014||Manchester City 3 - Sunderland 1||CCUP|
|Feb 22, 2014||Manchester City 1 - Stoke City 0||EPL|
|Feb 19, 2014||Manchester City 0 - FC Barcelona 2||UCL|
|Feb 16, 2014||Manchester City 2 - Chelsea FC 0||FA|
|Feb 8, 2014||Norwich City 0 - Manchester City 0||EPL|
Times In MYT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed