Peru - Nigeria Preview: A real test for new Super Eagles against Blanquirroja in Lima
This fixture will see the meeting of two teams who have never had the chance to face each other in international competition
By Babajide Alaka
Revoredo, Ramos, Galliquio, Yotun
Gonzales, Lobaton, Farfan, Palacios
Egwueke, Obobona, Soriola, Oshaniwa
Oduamadi, Lawal, H. Uche, Uzoenyi
Ehiosun, K. Uche
June 2012 contained a raft of matches in which the Nigerian national team have to come up trumps or national coach Stephen Keshi may be under a great deal of pressure. The Eagles will play in high altitude with just a day to prepare so it does not portend well, though it is a friendly.
Peru are ranked 36th in the world, higher than Nigeria’s 63rd place, and they have a fantastic forward line of battle-hardened Europe-based players led by Claudio Pizarro, Jefferson Farfan and Paolo Guerrero, who emerged as the highest goal scorer at last year’s Copa America in Argentina. Between the three, they have 145 international caps. An emotional goodbye is planned for Roberto Palacios, who at 39 will play the first 15 minutes to earn his 128th cap before being replaced by Luis Ramirez.
Peru are on an upward curve under Sergio Markarian and they came third in the 2011 Copa America, while Nigeria did not qualify for the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations. The Super Eagles lost their last match 3-2 in a friendly against the Pharaohs of Egypt while Peru drew 1-1 against Tunisia in Tunis in February. They have lost their last two matches against Chile, 3-1 away and 3-0 at home.
The Super Eagles will be playing with a mostly home-based team with only five foreign-based players, who will hope to convince coach Keshi that they are good enough for the full squad. The likes of Raheem Lawal and Nnamdi Oduamadi will be making their first national appearances.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Nigeria have descended to 63rd on the Fifa standings. On the other hand, Peru are in 36th place.
- Nigeria lost 3-2 to Egypt in Dubai in April.
- Raheem Lawal and Nnamdi Oduamadi could earn their first caps for Nigeria.
- The two countries will be meeting for the first time in a full international.
- Peru began 2014 World Cup qualifying with an impressive win over Paraguay thanks to a Guerrero double, but have since fallen to two straight losses against Chile.
- Teofilo Cubillas is the highest ever goal scorer for Peru with 26 goals.
- Peru play their matches at the Estadio Nacional.
- The Blanquirroja (white and red) have won two Copa America titles in 1939 and 1975. They came third in 2011 behind Uruguay and Paraguay.
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Perú 1-2 Nigeria
- 15.01 %
Perú 1-3 Nigeria
- 14.66 %
Perú 0-2 Nigeria
- 7.85 %
|International Friendlies (FR)||May 24, 2012||Perú 1 - Nigeria 0|
|Oct 16, 2013||Perú 1 - Bolivia 1||WCQS|
|Oct 12, 2013||Argentina 3 - Perú 1||WCQS|
|Sep 11, 2013||Venezuela 3 - Perú 2||WCQS|
|Sep 7, 2013||Perú 1 - Uruguay 2||WCQS|
|Aug 14, 2013||Republic of Korea 0 - Perú 0||FR|
|-||Antonio Emiliano González|
|10||Jefferson Agustin Farfán||Striker|
|-||José Carlos Fernández|