Gor Mahia 2-1 Karuturi: K’Ogalo triumph to go seven points clear

Goals from Kevin "Ade' Omondi and another by Ugandan defender Israel Emuge gave K'Ogalo their fourth win in a row and help them stretch lead

Gor Mahia continued their match towards the 2013 Kenyan Premier League title after edging out a stubborn Karuturi Sports 2-1 at City Stadium on Saturday.

Goals from Kevin Omondi in the 18th minute and another by Israel Emuge in the 76th minute gave Gor their fourth win in a row. They now have 35 points and sit perfectly at the top of the table standings. Hussein Zzinda scored for the visitors in the 49th minute.

Karuturi felt early pressure as the match kicked-off and Joseph Kariuki earned the first booking when he brought down Eric Ochieng in an attempt to cool down Gor's attacks.

Paul Kiongera who has scored in the last two matches was in his true element and by the eighth minute he had blasted wide as Gor kept up the pressure.

In the 11th minute Karuturi Sports veteran goalkeeper Noah Ayuko was forced to come out and stop Joseph Njuguna from putting Gor ahead. Njuguna had combined well with Kevin Omondi and beat the Karuturi defense.

A minute later, Gor had won their first corner of the match with defender Godfrey Msieba putting the ball out as he tried to stop Paul Kiongera. The former KCB man was behind every move by his side to go ahead and it was always a question of when the goal would come.

It did not take long and Kiongera taking advantage of a miss-pass by Emmanuel Olupot picked out Kevin Omondi who made no mistake to score in the 17th minute.

Motivated by the goal, Gor's second came almost immediately. Innocent Mutiso combined well with Kevin Omondi and the final ball ended at the feet of Joseph Njuguna who could not get past a forest of legs in the Karuturi defense.

Karuturi were fielding two former Gor Mahia players Duncun Owiti and John Kiplangat and both gave their former side problems but it was the latter, who made the first effort at goal.

Kiplangat playing mostly on the right flank had his team's first attempt at goal but this was easily picked by Jerim Onyango in the 30th minute. His second came almost immediately after combining well with Zzinda Hussein but shot straight at Onyango in the Gor goal.

Onyango was then forced to come out and stop Kiplagat in a one on one situation. After that Zzinda had an attempt at the Gor goal but his shot went just wide.

Gor were forced to substitute Eric Ochieng and bring in Ivan Anguyo after the former was injured as the half time approached.

Karuturi shocked Gor Mahia with a 49th minute goal after play had resumed when Hussein Zzinda beat an off-side trap to score.

Infuriated Gor players protested and midfielder Joseph Njuguna earned a yellow card. The match was stopped for a few minutes as angry fans threw objects on the pitch and it took the intervention of Gor Mahia assistant coach John 'Bobby' Ogolla for the match to continue.

Paul Kiongera then forced Ayuko to make the save of the match with a powerful fre- kick as Gor fought to get ahead. Kevin Omondi and Joseph Njuguna were both rested for Paul Odhiambo and Teddy Akumu in a effort that gave Gor more strength upfront.

In the 70th minute, Gor won a corner and Innocent Mutiso stepped up to take it and he did a good job as Karuturi defenders failed to clear and the lose ball was duly blasted home by Israel Emuge for his first goal of the premiership.