thumbnail Hello,

Goals from Rama Salim and Paul Kiongera ensured that Gor Mahia dislodge Thika United and hand new coach Bobby Williamson maiden league win

New Gor Mahia coach Bobby Williamson started his reign at the helm of one of Kenya’s oldest clubs on a positive note, guiding the team to a 2-0 win over Chemelil Sugar at Nyayo Stadium on Wednesday night.

With the win K’Ogalo move to top of the table opening a two point gap over Thika United and have a one game advantage over the milk men.

Goals from Rama Salim and Mungai Kiongera in each half ensured Gor collect maximum points to ascend to the top of the 16 team log.

K’Ogalo were always dangerous from the onset and the attacking partnership of Rama Salim and Mungai Kiongera proved dangerous with their nice moves.

Eight minutes into the match, Mungai Kiongera could have lifted K’Ogalo to the lead but he mis-kicked a clever chipped pass from Rama Salim, who had spotted him at the edge of the box.

Chemelil too were not relenting on the attack and they created two dangerous chances which were however, well dealt with. In the 12th minute, Jared Obwoge, who was Chemelil’s danger man, missed a clear chance with his free header just inside the box from Sammy Wakhanya’s cross going over the bar.

The game turned out to be a muscling match in the centre of the pack with both keepers being reduced to spectators, only collecting stray balls for goal kicks but were never really put to the test.

Five minutes to the breather, Chemelil had another chance, Jared Obwoge again failing to hit past Jerry Onyango with a low shot after Francis Oduor’s well measured cross from the right wing.

Chremelil’s missed chances would turn back at them, Rama Salim heading home in the 44th minute. Chemelil keeper Jairus Adira committed a blunder going all the way to the edge of the 18-yard box to collect a cross ball, missing it entirely.

The ball fell onto Edwin Lavatsa’s feet and the Harambee Stars forward looped the ball goal wards, Rama Salim jumping higher than Jimmy Agembe to head home.

Chemelil’s ambitions would not be cut out in the second period as they pressed their feet harder on the gas pedals. Victor Omondi saw his well taken free-kick saved by Jerim Onyango with Daniel Mutahi’s shot from the edge of the box going just wide.

Chemelil were beginning to win the midfield battle, controlling the ball and spraying the passes. Bobby Williamson noticed the gap in the middle and pulled out Joseph Njuguna, bringing in Ivan Anguyo to calm things down.

However, it would be Kiongera who would calm things down as he doubled Gor’s lead in the 61st minute with a low left footed drive. Innocent Mutiso had sprayed the ball onto the enterprising Mungai who created space for himself before unleashing the shot that beat Adira.

Gor were now comfortably on the driving seat and they resolved to keep possession though Chemelil were tirelessly looking for a goal back. Francis Oduor was always stubborn on the wings but Gor’s defense never let off a slight shake in concentration.

Gor Mahia’s new signing Patrick Oboya was given 15 minutes on the pitch taking Mungai Kiongera’s place, and he never disappointed with his deft touches and breathtaking moves.