AFC Leopards 2-2 SuperSport (2-4aggre.): End of the road for Ingwe

Coming off a 2-0 deficit in the first leg played in Pretoria, Ingwe needed to win by at least two goals without conceding to force the battle into penalties
GOtv Shield Champions AFC Leopards' were bundled out of Caf Confederation Cup with a 4-2 aggregate scoreline after being held by SuperSport United to a two-all draw at Nyayo Stadium on Sunday.

Coming off a 2-0 deficit in the first leg played in Pretoria last weekend, Ingwe needed to win by at least two goals without conceding to force the game into penalties. To win it in 90 minutes, Ingwe  needed a scoreline of three without reply to book a slot in the second round.

All this seemed to fall according to script in the second period when James Situma scored two minutes after the restart, but SuperSport equalized six minutes later to need Leopards' to win the game by at least four goals to one.

Needing early goals, Ingwe started the game with so much tempo upfront and barely a minute after the start, Allan Wanga had the first chance at goal. Martin Imbalambala took a long throw on the right, Joseph Shikokoti flicking it on but Wanga's eventual header went wide.

Ingwe were almost caught off guard after 11 minutes, Doutie Sameegh’s shot being saved by Wycliffe Kasaya with Daid Mathebula having provided the assist. Ingwe continued to pile the pressure on their opponents knowing too well the daunting task ahead.

James Situma twice came close, forcing keeper Williams into a decent save in the first while the second attempt from almost the same distance easily falling into the hands of the custodian. Bennet Chenene then forced Kasaya into another save minutes to the breather from a freekick with Samegh seeing his effort from the rebound also saved.

In the second period, Ingwe’s hopes came alive with Situma firing them into the lead with a shot from the edge of the box after a goalmouth melee from a corner. However, their celebrations were short lived, SupersSport equalizing six minutes later, Phala Thuso squeezing the ball in between Kasaya’s feet after Ingwe were caught flat footed.

In the process, Kasaya was injured after landing awkwardly trying to save the effort and had to be rushed to hospital, Martin Musalia taking his place. Jacob Kelli had come in for Peter Opiyo as Nandwa sought for a 4-4-2 remedy after starting the game with a single striker. He had a shot come off the bar in 68th minute as Leopards' sought to cut down the deficit.

They were undone 11 minutes to time, Phala Thuso turning from goal scorer to provider cutting in a pass for Samegh to finish inside the box after easing past Shikokoti on the left.

The home side however, would not die without a fight as they tried at least to force a draw and save face, Keli watching his effort from close range denied by Williams. However, their efforts would be rewarded in the first minute of added time, Allan Wanga heading in Charles Okwemba’s cross.

Ingwe will now shift all their attention to league campaign as they travel away to Muhoroni on Wednesday.