KPL yet to award Gor Mahia abandoned fixture

Despite a move by Football Kenya Federation to rescind a decision by KPL to order for the replay, latest table indicates Gor Mahia are still on 41 points

Kenya Premier League (KPL) is yet to award Gor Mahia their abandoned fixture against Sony Sugar despite Football Kenya Premier ordering for the same.

According to the latest premiership table standings released by KPL, Gor Mahia are still topping the chart on 41 points from 21 matches. Had Gor been awarded points, the standing should see them leading on 44 points.

The Kenya FA had moved to rescind a decision by KPL to order for the replay of the aborted fixture and demanded that Gor Mahia be awarded maximum points since the sugar millers' fans had caused the abandonment in the 84th minute.

A statement signed by federation CEO Michael Esakwa read in part, “Football Kenya Federation is in receipt of the match commissioner’s report, the referees report and a copy of a letter from the CEO KPL dated 3rd September 2013 and addressed to the secretary of Sony Sugar FC and Gor Mahia FC respectively.

“The federation has studied and analyzed the facts pertaining to this match and has established that:

l. The match was stopped in the 84th minute after Gor Mahia scored their second goal.

2. The assistant referee was assaulted by a player and an official of Sony Sugar.

3. There was intervention by the police to control the crowds.

4. The match was stopped for 28 minutes.

“ln view of the stated facts the Federation hereby invokes rule 3.4 (b), 3.5  c ] and 3.8, Rules of Kenyan Football ( 1998) and finds Sony sugar culpable of causing the abandonment of match No. 171 and hereby directs that the match be awarded to Gor Mahia.

“The collapse of the perimeter fence in the view of the federation is an after effect of the stoppage and subsequent abandonment of the match. The federation also reprimands GMT Otieno for interfering and skewing the decision of the match. Our own investigations further reveal that center referee was assaulted and the same has not been documented in his report or that of the match commissioner.”

In ordering for the replay, the premier body argued that no team was responsible for chaos that erupted after Gor Mahia had leveled matters through a disputed David Owino goal.

“In accordance to the Rules of Kenyan Football, Rule 3.4 on Responsibilities of clubs and Rule 3.7 on abandoned matches, the match reports exonerate both teams from causing the abandonment,” said a statement signed by KPL CEO Jack Oguda.

 “However, the match reports do confirm that the players were ready to resume play but due to the collapsed perimeter fence which enabled so many spectators of both sides inside the playing area, posing serious security risk to the playing units, match officials and technical benches, the match officials resolved to call off the match.