Gor 2-0 Stima: K'Ogalo switch off Stima to open four point gap

Rama Salim and Paul Mungai Kiongera scored in the first half of the match to give Scot coach Bobby Williamson a clean record since joining club

Gor Mahia remained on course to winning the premiership title when they opened up a four point gap at the top of the table with a comfortable 2-0 win over Western Stima at the City Stadium on Sunday.

Rama Salim and Mungai Kiongera scored in the first half of the match to give Bobby Williamson a clean record since joining K’Ogalo.

The home side started the match faster off the blocks and they attacked from the first whistle. Sticking to a 4-3-3 formation that destroyed Chemelil in mid-week, Gor looked set for an attacking game. And their efforts paid dividends seven minutes gone on the clock, Rama Salim netting from a free-kick.

Stima had conceded an indirect free-kick just at the edge of the box, and Rama who never disappoints on set pieces chose to bang the ball home. Edwin Lavatsa touched the ball for him as the former Congo United striker struck a low shot into the bottom right corner.

The goal put Gor firmly into the match as they gained confidence passing the ball around sweetly. In the 20th minute, Gor almost doubled the advantage but captain George Wesa had to be at full stretch to cut out an inviting cross from Innocent Mutiso.

Stima tightened their defense and they limited Gor to just above the 18-yard area. The power men pressed upfront but were never lucky to get even a shot on target.

Their efforts to land an equalizer came tumbling down like a pack of cards in the 34th minute, Benroberts Mandela’s blunder gifting Mungai Kiongera who notched his third goal of the season. Mandela had left his line and Kiongera was left with the simple task of tapping the ball into an empty net just from the 18 yard area.

Immediately, Kiongera almost doubled his tally but his shot was saved off for a corner by Mandela though it took a slight deflection on Rama Salim.

But Francis Baraza’s men would come off fighting in the second period, Baraza introducing Dennis Onkangi for Abbey Natty as Mike Simiyu came off for Daniel Onyango. This was purely an attacking strategy and it paid dividends with Stima more industrious upfront.

However, they failed to test Jerim Onyango, who was well shielded by a no nonsense defense led by Donald Mosoti and Israel Emuge. Rama Salim almost pulled his second of the afternoon but his header from Innocent Mutiso’s freek-ick went wide.

Dennis Onkangi twice tested Jerim Onyango with long range shots but the Harambee Stars custodian kept his cool to maintain a clean sheet.

The introduction of Kelvin Omondi brought back to life Gor Mahia’s attack but they really never threatened much in front of goal. The win was the second for Scot coach Bobby Williamson since taking over reigns of coaching side. His first was a 2-0 win against Chemelil Sugar.